NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron Sky Master 25x70

Mav359

From an ergonomic point of view you can expect them to be too powerful to hold them steady, a mount will be essential :grin: . Optically, the brand should indicate decent quality and 25X will be interesting viewing the Moon, Jupiter and the moons, phases of Venus and many doubles beyond the reach of lower power binoculars.  :smiley:

As your first pair of binoculars I would like to be the first to welcome you to 2 eyed views of the heavens. At 25x the binoculars need to be mounted. I suggest a tripod and adapter, if you own a camera tripod this would be perfect. The adapter can be purchased for less than £10 from any astronomy store or even an auction site. When you first look through them try focus with you left eye first using the focus knob between the barrels then use the diopter adjuster on the right hand lens to fine tune the right hand eyes view. If you get perfect focus I.e sharp stars or if during the day try a reasonably distant object such as a chimney stack.

Let us know how you get on.

Hi and welcome to the world of binoculars :-) . I don't have the Celestron Skymaster 25x70 but the 15x70 Apollo binoculars and what you can see is really good crisp and sharp. Yours should show more than mine also a tripod is a must. I could only hold mine for 10 or 15 min but holding them you don't really get the full benefit from them so a tripod or some sort of mount is a must to get the most out of your binoculars and then just enjoy what they show you.

Hi guys

Cheers for the replies, i figured the wieght would be an isuue so i started to look at tripods, bearing in mind you tend to be looking up at the sky i wanted something taller then me so i didnt have to stoop in order to use them. All of the tripods i came across were quite short with the exception of a Binocular tripod at £250, i think not..... what i have found that i think will work is a Monopod that currys do, its only £11 stands much taller then me meaning i could look to nearly zenith without breaking my back. If i need to go any higher then i can sit in my moon chair and rock it back to there......

Monopods can be quite effective. They're obviously not going to be rock steady, but they'll take a lot of the weight and can be less cumbersome than tripods. Just make sure anything you use is sturdy - those binoculars are heavier than most cameras and when you tilt them back the weight is off-balance. I'd be wary of something costing a tenner.

what i have found that i think will work is a Monopod that currys do, its only £11

Presumably you mean the Hama Star 78? I'd be delighted to be proved wrong, but I don't think that head is anywhere near up to what you need for your binocular, and that you may find it royally frustrating.

That said, a monopod is essentially a very good way of mounting a binocular and retaining a lot of its portability advantage. I find the best combo is a monopod and a trigger-grip head. Some ideas on my mounting binoculars page.

WOW

Just had a really quick go at my new binos, in my heavy LP skies i can see Jupiter and its moons & the orion nebula.

I am blown away, i didn't really know what to expect but instantly i've had more then i thought i'd get.

That said im not out tonight, i owed my sister a babysitting session so i'm not dressed for the cold so between the shakes & the weight of the binos the targets were bouncing around all over the place. As i mentioned earlier i have ordered a mono pod and the trigger grip head Steve recommended so i imagin my views will only get better & i cant wait to get out to a dark star site.

Happy bunny but as always the thought "WHY DIDN'T I DO THIS EARLIER" went through my head.

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Archived