Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First time out with Celestron 114EQ

I managed to get a decent view of Jupiter and see some banding. Then lost Jupiter and couldn't get the scope onto it again

I know the finder scope is useless but i didn't think it'd be as hard to align onto something so bright

Loved it though

Roll on more clear nights

Any suggestions on what chair to use? I was using just a patio chair and wasn't comfy for long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Lightinsomnia,

Have a look at this tutorial on polar alignment, that should help

Its not so critical to have it absolutely spot on for visual work but the more accurate you can get it, the easier time you will have when keeping things in the field of view. You will only be using the RA axis slomo control then, and the occasional bit of dec slomo to compensate for errors in polar alignment.

About the finder, you have to align it first, during the day at a far off target on the horizon, or you could use something like the moon at night. Once its in the ballpark it should be quite easy to fine tune it every night using a bright star or planet.  Remember to use the 20mm EP when doing this, then switch to the 10mm for fine tuning. With a field of view around 1degree or so through the scope, the sky becomes a really large place :)

Chairs... yea using a patio chair myself, not ideal. Have this on my wishlist... cant vouch for how stable or comfy it is but the last two reviewers bought it for astronomy :)

( i did mention to the wife that she could use it too... the look i got would have cracked stone :) )

http://www.philipmorrisdirect.co.uk/leifheit-multiseat-niveau-ironing-chair/product/

all the best and clear skies to you

Mark

I have the Leifeit ironing chair for observing, I find it really good,

and helps you to stay on a target for long periods, relief for my

back too, it has plenty of adjustment which I find very good, but

it does need a little extra padding, but you my not need it, glad 

you enjoyed your First Light.

I think some are confusing a regular red dot finder with the astromaster red dot finder. I found it to be 100% unusable . Even if you align it well , it's still as much use as a chocolate teapot. The two pieces if Perspex disperse and reflect the light all over the place and you can't see a thing through it . I'd recomend a Rigel finder /telrad finder along with your lowest power eyepiece . Works a treat .

I think some are confusing a regular red dot finder with the astromaster red dot finder. I found it to be 100% unusable . Even if you align it well , it's still as much use as a chocolate teapot. The two pieces if Perspex disperse and reflect the light all over the place and you can't see a thing through it . I'd recomend a Rigel finder /telrad finder along with your lowest power eyepiece . Works a treat .

We had someone visit our club with an Astromaster and Celestrons version of red dot finder. They were lucky and it was clear, so outside we went, and found exactly the same, the RDF was useless.

After a while we gave up on the RDF and found objects by sighting along the tube.

Dunno what Celestron were thinking of, designing such a useless accessory, and maybe putting off someone from astronomy, rather than starting them off.

Regards, Ed.

I think the poor red dot finder on the celestron might as well be just ripped off. If I get what people are recommended do I take it off and replace it?

I seem to recall that the Astromaster RDF is a part of the plastic end ring on the upper end of the tube ?  

If so, perhaps best to just leave it in place and fit a new finder on the tube ?

The Rigel Quickfinder would make the scope far more usable.

Regards, Ed.

I seem to recall that the Astromaster RDF is a part of the plastic end ring on the upper end of the tube ?  

If so, perhaps best to just leave it in place and fit a new finder on the tube ?

The Rigel Quickfinder would make the scope far more usable.

Regards, Ed.

Cheers

I can only find one on ebay for 40 quid. Does that sound about the right price for one?

The original rdf can be removed . I can't recall exactly but I think there's a couple of small screws holding it to the main plastic body. I removed mine while using my telrad . Placed it back on when it come to selling it . However you don't really need to take it off, it won't be in the way of your Rigel / telrad.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived