NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

the Rosette nebula in Hubble palette

broca

The Rosette nebula (aka NGC 2237, NGC 2238, NGC 2239, NGC 2244, NGC 2246) is an emission nebula associated with open clusters of stars located in the constellation of Monoceros, 5,200 light years away.
Imaged from Ocala, Florida through Ha, OIII and SII filters and processed using Hubble palette, assigning SII to RED, OIII to BLUE and Ha to GREEN.
20 minute exposures combined to a total of:

3 hours Ha (binned 1x1)
3 hours OIII (binned 1x1)
3 hours SII (binned 1x1)
Processed in Photoshop using Hubble palette
Imaging telescope: Orion 80mm EON (Focal length 480mm)
Imaging camera: QSI 683 wsg-8
Losmandy G-11 with Gemini II German equatorial mount

p1069986504-3.jpg

That is a very good rosette!

If you want two simple hints for a very simple yet powerful improvement, in my very personal opinion and taste, try this:

1) Get rid of all the green. You download the "Hasta La Vista Green" plugin and use medium setting:

post-9361-0-81929300-1387875007.jpg

2) Add a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer and target magenta. Set it to zero. This will give you stars without the dreaded magenta tint (not that you have much of it, but still):

post-9361-0-03743200-1387875016.jpg

These are just my very personal taste "improvements", so take them at face value :) or not... 

Merry Christmas,

Per

Thanks A.G and Per!  Per, I went ahead and did as you suggested and am happy with the results.  The stars are from RGB data I had from a DSLR, but those magenta "hues" still poked through, thanks for pointing them out and suggesting the correction.  

I appreciate your input,

Happy Holidays,

Steve

Archived