Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Re-worked Solar Disc 8th December 2013 , 13:15 GMT.

Steve Ward

Just spent the afternoon chained to the laptop determined to get more from the promising looking 'Red' setting subs that foxed me earlier ....  :smiley:

After a lot of playing I decided on a different approach , first I fed the very best six frames to the Gimp ... ( should of used more really but as I was just playing I saved a bit of time by just using six )

First step was a gentle touch of Gaussian blur to eliminate the 'lines' that were bugging me , then four very soft iterations of Unsharp mask to ease out the detail , lastly I flipped the frames vertically then exported.

Then it was back in known territory , stacked the six frames in Reg 5.1 using very careful manual alignment , then very careful application of Wavelets to tease out the detail .

Very pleased with the result , beginning to see penumbral structure now , even at the full disc scale ....  :laugh:

Full Disc.

PBestRed_zpsbee113d9.png

Crop of Bottom Left.

PBestRedCropBL_zps05bcefc5.png

Crop of Right hand side.

PBestRedCropR_zps8f3de194.png

1000D + ED80Pro + 'Scopium' Wedge + Continuum + IR Block.

Gimp 2.8 , Reg 5.1 , 6/6.

Full resolution here .... http://www.astrobin.com/full/67495/0/?real=&mod=

Thank you sir ....  :smiley:

A few more subs would help to clean up the edge I think , there was a definite 'saw blade' edge due to the seeing ....  :p

Just need to figure a speedier method now , though I think that practice will pay dividends obviously.

Will be nice to be able to pick just a dozen good frames to use rather than fishing for fifty or sixty ....  :laugh:

Looking forward to getting the SPC900 Mono into the equation next , fingers crossed ....  :smiley:

Nice one Steve, lots of detail coming through.  Also a hot overworked laptop will help keep the temperature up in the house.

No sun whatsoever up here, just rain and it is looking promising for the northern lights tonight.

Robin

It's stopped raining but we have total cloud cover, so no chance for the northern lights tonight. I am pining my hopes on Tuesday, forecast is good and I have just bought a 4" frac for white light solar imaging, it should arrive from FLO on Tuesday, fingers crossed.

Robin

Interesting. I had looked at wedges a few times and may well consider one ahead of next summer (not much point at the moment as I would barely get to use it). I was concerned that I would not be able to use my 1100D on the back of it and was reluctant to spend another £350+ on a mono camera.

Further investigation required.

Archived