Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC 1491 / Sh2-206 in Perseus in Ha

x6gas

I was hunting around for a target on an unexpectedly clear night and decided to have a go at Sh2-206 in Perseus.  I think that NGC 1491 is the small bright part at the centre but there is an area of gas surrounding it that is actually quite extensive.  In fact there does seem to be some very faint nebulosity extending on from the bottom of this image...

Anyway, don't see too many of these so I thought that I'd give it a go.  This is 24 x 1200s of Ha.  Would like to do an Ha RGB on this, and perhaps a full narrowband at some stage.

Scope: Takahashi FSQ85EDX

Mount: CGEM DX

Camera: Atik 490ex

Guiding: IMG0H; Atik OAG; PHD

post-11821-0-25305200-1386362311_thumb.p

As usual, comments and suggestions for improvement very welcome.

Thanks for looking, Ian

Yep, I've not seen this target before Ian - the HA image you've done looks very nice, there's some really interesting features popping out. I think it has real potential and would encourage you to do the additional filters you suggest. You're going nice & deep with your data now, there's 8 hours in HA alone here, which for UK skies is pretty impressive!

Martin

Thanks Martin, Mark, & Peter,

this is a nice target Ian,

indeed  a nebulosity in the bottom as well:

http://www.sharplesscatalog.com/sharpless/SH2-206.aspx

I feel you may need more data, it could also be great for your 11'' scope.

Mark

Yes Mark, there is loads more there and actually I hadn't stretched the image to the max...  This version is a bit more like Dean Salman's rendition though lacks the detail of his (I've rotated to be more or less the same orientation as his Ha):

post-11821-0-78705100-1386364458_thumb.p

Yes I really must try out the hyperstar on my EdgeHD.  I've had it for a while now, but it's never been on the scope.  The clear nights have been just too precious... but one day!

Thanks for the comments Epicycle and Tom.

I've had another go at processing the data.  I've been more aggressive with the stretch than the first version but been trying not to burn out the brighter bits and I've looked after the background star field a bit more carefully...

post-11821-0-19069800-1386433946_thumb.p

Archived