Jupiter showing very well here

John

I'm just taking a break to warm up after a lovely hour viewing Jupiter with my 12" dob. Lots of details showing tonight. The GRS crossed the central meridian just before 10:00 pm and is well towards the western limb of the planet now. Europa's shadow has been crossing the disk too, somewhat behind the GRS and just to the S of the SEB. Europa itself starts it's disk transit at 11:16pm our time. There are a number of pale vortexes within the SEB and trailing the GRS and quite a prominent pale spot just to the N of Europa's shadow. The S edge of the NEB is very broken with at least two plumes trailing into the EQ zone and curving away to the east. The most prominent of these appears to emerge from the S edge of the NEB between the longitude of the GRS and Europa's shadow.

No "white barges" as yet though. They seem to have cruised around to the other side of the planet !  :smiley:

The most effective magnification seems to be 200x - 250x with the 12" dob.

Just been back from a darker site visit out of the city a bit, some good DSO viewing but interrupted by cloud at times, even the missus was impressed. Will go out into my backyard for some more and observe Jupiter later. Last night it was rather good too at around 3 AM with some good still moments at times. Even the small 5 inch Dob revealed much detail on the bands. 

I think this could be a weekend of sleep deprivation :D

Hope for a good night on Jupiter tonight, though doing an hour on the Horsehead and flame first.   I've also got the bins out.    The sky is stunning tonight very clear and the seeing looks good so far.   If I get any pics of the barges I shall post them later - though prob not before 02:30hrs.

Make the most of tonight ;)

Too right Jake - I'm clouded out now  :undecided:

You've got to take it when you can in the UK  :rolleyes2:

same here cloud now :(, Glad I took that little car trip earlier out of the suburbs to do some viewing instead of my backyard, rather unplanned and spur of the moment decision, but it was worth it. You got to grab those moments when you can  :smiley:

Been having a tough night, myself.  Lots of niggles having moved the NEQ6, and major problems with dew freezing on the SCT corrector.  Did get some nice views of Jupiter early on though, and hopefully I have some data that has been worth capturing.  We shall see tomorrow.

James

My first view of Jupiter through the C11, from the 36mm down to the 10mm with  and without the Focal Reducer, i think the 20mm gave the best views certainly a awesome sight, think i need a filter as its like looking at the moon very bright indeed. managed a few more messiers those down near Sirius, my old viewing spot had trees in the way the Obby has good views of the SE 

I don't find I need a filter when viewing Jupiter with my 12" dob. It's initially bright, yes, but I find the eye soon adjusts and then the subtle details start to show themselves. 

Just been back from a darker site visit out of the city a bit, some good DSO viewing but interrupted by cloud at times, even the missus was impressed. Will go out into my backyard for some more and observe Jupiter later. Last night it was rather good too at around 3 AM with some good still moments at times. Even the small 5 inch Dob revealed much detail on the bands. 

I think this could be a weekend of sleep deprivation :D

I only had about half an hour but even in that time I also managed to see a surprising amount of detail on the equitorial bands with hints of other bands too.

It was definitely better here later on (23:00) than earlier with a lot more detail showing, and the disk of Europa showing clearly against the darker coloured belt. Unfortunately, cloud descended at midnight, leaving me with just a patch of clear sky hovering above Orion - a good chance to spend some more time on the celestial Crab (M1)!

Chris

Archived