Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Can anyone identify this mount please?

Russko13

Hi been looking at purchasing an orion 80ed sometime after Xmas have also been looking at various mounts and came across this picture on google images, it looks like a great grab and go mount and I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on what it is or where I can find a similar one, thanks! post-33477-0-05705700-1385747084_thumb.j

Looks like a camera tripod to me.

Me too. Doesn't look stable enough for astronomy really, to be honest. Maybe just for low power views at most. Scopes a nice one though  :smiley:

The Skywatcher ED80 Pro is the same scope, in case you want another option. 

Hi Russko13 and welcome to SGL.

From personal experience, I would not put my TeleVue Ranger* on an camera tripod ever again. The tripod looks like a Manfrotto 055 that I used to use. I still have the tripod and now use it for mounting my binoculars and digital camera.

As for the tripod head, I cannot help. I have tried many heads, ie fluid heads, pan & tilt, slo-mo and a portable GEM/EQ, etc and to be honest vibrations do take s while to settle on a camera tripod.

If I were you I would look at FLO's Mounts/Motor section, (pages 2 & 3), if you are after something lightweight.

* the Ranger is a 70mm semi-apo refractor.

Thanks for the replies I wasn't convinced myself that it would be stable enough especially with a finder scope attached I just can't seem to find a decent alt azimuth mount and my garden where il be doing most of my observing has only a decent view looking south or se,sw so Equatorial seems a scary concept not being able to look north

Archived