Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Light pollution/nebula filter

RobertC

Since i have a hard time getting to an area that has little light pollution i need to buy a light pollution filter for my imaging as i'm not far enough from the city apparently from my shots. I'm fairly new to the astronomical filters but from a photography perspective i'm fine. I need some help with what people would suggest for a prime 1.25 focus on a 200P with 60d 1.5x sensor. I would prefer to not use the dslr clip in version but a screw fitment.

Also i'm after a filter to boost the amount of visible gases in my nebulae shots such as a HA or a 0-III. Could anyone offer some advice on what would be best suited, i'm currently using a modified canon 60d with the IR filter removed.

-Rob

A 1.25" filter will give you terrible vignetting on a DSLR sized chip, you will need a 2" or clip in filter. The Astronomik CLS or UHC, and IDAS LP2 are all excellent LP filters which let through emmision and reflection nebula, but none are anywhere near to £40. At that budget I think you are going to struggle.

I'm using a 1.25" Castell UHC filter @ £35(already had this so using it as a stop gap until I can afford a clip in filter) with my 350D with success,granted I get a bit of vignetting but my good friend Quatermass manages to eliminate it out of my photos :)

Archived