NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

dobsonian telescope interest

Hi,

Iam interested in up grading my telescope, i have had a tal reflector 6 inch for 3 years and i was thinking of buying a dobsonian 10 inch .

Can anyone tel me how much difference that would make on objects observed, and what makes are best value for money.

Regards vemarstar

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi vemarstar and welcome!

I've had my 4" Mak for about 3 years and like you have been considering a dob (a 10" or 12") as a second scope. So I'll be keeping an eye on this thread with interest :D

The skyliner seems to be getting good reviews, in fact there is an excellent review of the 12" by MartinB on the Equipment Review board.

All the best,

Roy

Vermarstar & Roy,

A 10-12 inch Dob will be the perfect addition to your scopes, you will see significantly more detail and colour in deep sky and planetary viewing. The Skywatcher series do get good reports, Orion Optics also do very high quality dobs but are more expensive. I had a dob for nearly 20 years and it was great value for money.

Clear skies.

D25

I have a 12" Revelation and and I think its a great dob, but Revs' aren't available new anymore. GSO branded dobs are probably one of the same and are still made, but to be honest a Skyywatcher Skyliner 10"/12"dob, like others have said would be a great upgrade from your Tal and are readily available. There are more expensive dobs, but you haven't mentioned a budget. Bang for buck, the Skyliner would serve you well.

Rob.

Very helpful guys,

The only reservation I have about getting a big dob is actually moving it around. For security I would probably keep it in the garage, so it would be a question of carring it out the garage side door (and up and down a step) a 35' lug over grass and then down three more steps. All with a pretty dodgy back. I see that there's a recent thread on this same question here http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php/topic,21191.0.html

My budget is around £800.00. I suppose an alternative is a slightly small reflector on a half decent mount and tripod, but I must admit its the big aperture and the ease of use which attacts me to a dob.

Roy

Copied and pasted from identical thread in newcomers section

I have the 10" lightbridge and I love it to bits. With its light gathering abilities you feel that the universe is your oyster. Its easy to set up and coliminate (it takes me 5 minutes tops) It is awkward the first few times you use it but with practice it soon becomes a doddle. Pitfalls I encountered included were assembling the top part on the bottom the wrong way around and not seating a truss rod correctly. Silly mistakes but they're easily rectified

Its light enough for one person to carry and assemble and if you need to move location you can in a matter of minutes. With no go-to to set up you are observing in minutes and importantly you can move from target to target without having to wait for a computer to slowly slew your scope from one part of the sky to another. Without the go-to I really feel I'm learning the sky.

Of course the major downside is no photography. If you live in a badly light polluted area perhaps you wouldn't be able to star hop, these are important points to consider.

I bought a shroud for the lightbridge and if you go for a truss scope I'd suggest you either invest or make one. It really helps cut down stray light and helps cut down dew build up.

I feel I have a good all rounder. Its excellent for deep space objects. The moon looks like you're hovering over it and Saturn is a treat. Mars was a difficult target and the scope needs to be coliminated well before detail becomes apparent. I bought a laser coliminator which while expensive, paid for itself, helping a newbie (Me) get the best out of his scope.

I'd tell you to pm me but I'm off to sea for a month tomorrow. No scope no beer and no internet for a month! :D

'If' your only interested in tubed dobsonians and not the truss kind, then like I said in the thread you've mentioned, the sack trolley should work fine for you as well. When I use one for awkward heavy materials, it enables me to go over grass/gravel/steps/obstacles and alike with not much hassle. It'll take some of the strain and chore out of the your set up. If I had to trek far, thats the way I would go. You could certainly upgrade to the 12" sized dob if your not having to do much lifting/carrying. [i have a dicky lower back too]!

I like the look of the trussed Lightbridges, but have no experience of setting one up or if they are noticably superior to something like the Skyliners. But, I'm 'guessing' theres a little bit more fathing about, then a tubed dob which you know you plonk down and start observing and another guess is they would be similar in quality. Only you know fully which kind would suit your requirements. I'm sure owners of either or other dobs on this forum will fill you in more.

Regards,Rob.

Casus,

thanks I spotted your report on the newcomers section, dobsonians seem to be a popular topic at the moment. The lightbridge looks like a possible solution for me and I have seen some good reports elsewhere. Safe trip & happy sailing!

Rob,

thanks, yes I thought that the lightbridge might involve too much faffing about, but from what Casus belli says it gets quite easy with practice (the same with everything, I suppose!). I do have a trolley so that's something else to think about. Decisions, decisions :?

Regards

Roy

Thank you all for your very helpful advice,

Iam interested in just observing not to botherd about cameras , imaging , etc so a dobsonian i think is my sort of scope just something to get ready and observe.

I am thinking in the region of £600/£700 for the scope, and again iam very greatful for all your posting.

vemarstar ian

Very helpful guys,

The only reservation I have about getting a big dob is actually moving it around. For security I would probably keep it in the garage, so it would be a question of carring it out the garage side door (and up and down a step) a 35' lug over grass and then down three more steps. All with a pretty dodgy back. I see that there's a recent thread on this same question here http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php/topic,21191.0.html

My budget is around £800.00. I suppose an alternative is a slightly small reflector on a half decent mount and tripod, but I must admit its the big aperture and the ease of use which attacts me to a dob.

Roy

Roy

That is just what attracts me the aperture , easy to set up and observe, also the price for a dob are very reasonable i have always liked newtonian telescopes.

I too have a Rev 12 and while it is a bit cumbersome it's a great scope. I know it's probably stating the obvious but I'd advise you to check the space available in your car if you intend on taking it anywhere.

Get a laser collimator and a Telrad finder too :D

(PS if you're near Glasgow I have an 8" Optex dob for sale for £130 incl EPs)

Paul

The only reservation I have about getting a big dob is actually moving it around. For security I would probably keep it in the garage, so it would be a question of carring it out the garage side door (and up and down a step) a 35' lug over grass and then down three more steps. All with a pretty dodgy back.

Where there's a will there's a way.

I had a 10" revelation dob, the views throught it where fantastic, but there was the issue of its size.

This I got around by purchasing a light wieght alloy trolley from a seller on ebay (dougs shelving) and mounting the Dob on it.

I then knocked up some ramps out of MDF for the steps.

It worked fine for me, but sadly my health deteriorated and I had to let it go as I couldnt manage it on my own in the end.

Dobs. are wonderful telescopes. Just like the guy who devised the mount. They are kind, very amenable, teach you a lot, and don't ask for anything in return.

John Dobson made a great contribution to astronomy with this simple creation of his.

Ron.

Dobs. are wonderful telescopes. Just like the guy who devised the mount. They are kind, very amenable, teach you a lot, and don't ask for anything in return.

John Dobson made a great contribution to astronomy with this simple creation of his.

Ron.

Yes and i like trying to find the ojects myself you get to know your way around the sky, it is a challenge agreed sometimes it can be difficult but the next night you can start again.

That is what i find interesting.

And the scope is basic and you can set up in no time at all for observing, but for what you pay you get value for money with the light grasp of telescope.

Just like the guy who devised the mount. They are kind, very amenable, teach you a lot, and don't ask for anything in return.

Well, not entirely true. John has no trouble asking you for a ride to the next star party and food for the trip. :D

I would be gutted if he didn't ask AM, I would feel priviledged, as I know you are. :rolleyes:

Archived