Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Equinox 66 advice

Hopefully the great SGL community can help advise:

I've recently bought an Equinox 66 (last one in the UK it seems as they are discontinued) but want to fit a field flattener (http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reducersflatteners/skywatcher-field-flattener.html) and my light pollution filter (2") to it for some DSLR imaging. the scope comes with a SCT adapter. If I replace it with one of these  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380705247813?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 am I likely to be able to fit the flattener, LP filter and DSLR whilst still being able to achieve focus? I've trawled the forums and there is a question over focus travel. 

Thanks in advance
Ed

I saw this and wasn't going to answer as I tried the Equinox 66 for imaging and it never worked.

The focuser is an SCT thread as I recall, and so in order to achieve focus I had to use an SCT/T2 adapter,  http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors/baader-sct-to-2-inch-adapter.html

What I learnt very quickly with this was that there was no end stop so to speak on the focuser and so you could just screw the adapter all the way and off the end of the screw thread, so it was left flapping on the focuser. I never found a satisfactory way of stopping this and actually getting a good solid mating between the adapter and the focuser.

To this end the imaging train drooped like a droopy thing and so it quickly got sold as it was useless in my opinion for imaging.

Bearing that in mind, maybe you can work out a way to stop the adapter being able to continue screwing off the end of the screw thread on the focuser.

Good luck!

I saw this and wasn't going to answer as I tried the Equinox 66 for imaging and it never worked.

The focuser is an SCT thread as I recall, and so in order to achieve focus I had to use an SCT/T2 adapter,  http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors/baader-sct-to-2-inch-adapter.html

What I learnt very quickly with this was that there was no end stop so to speak on the focuser and so you could just screw the adapter all the way and off the end of the screw thread, so it was left flapping on the focuser. I never found a satisfactory way of stopping this and actually getting a good solid mating between the adapter and the focuser.

To this end the imaging train drooped like a droopy thing and so it quickly got sold as it was useless in my opinion for imaging.

Bearing that in mind, maybe you can work out a way to stop the adapter being able to continue screwing off the end of the screw thread on the focuser.

Good luck!

Hmmm... That put the mockers on what I was thinking. I've looked at a few 66EDs today, SW, TS, Baader, Long Perrng? and was thinking about one as a little imaging scope with a dslr.

Are all the 66s essentially the same optics or would another one likely be better/worse.

Any ideas on a 2kg or less scope that would be good?

Sorry to veer slightly off topic.

For info, the skies_unlimited SCT adapter worked a treat. Its designed with an end stop so you get a great connection that doesn't over screw. I used it with my 2" T adapter and LP filter on my D3100. I'll hopefully get the flattener for Christmas so will again report back. Check out the 30 minute forum for some quick and dirty pics with the setup. http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/200510-the-30-minute-challange/page-6

Cheers Sara, cant say I wasn't a little worried. I'm losing count of how many white elephants I've bought since starting astronomy... I include the "ScopeTeknix Universal mounting plate for finders with two hole mounting base" from scopenskies in that. Turns out that its not especially "universal"...

• 1 month later...

As promised now reporting back after getting the flattener. The SW flattener from FLO has worked well although I needed to replace the SCT to 2" adapter with a low profile one (approx 20-25mm) the skies_unlimited one was too long to achieve focus with the Equinox 66. The flattener works well (images below of before and after). The even better thing is that with the flattener, 66 and a 2" SW LP filter fully racked in the whole train comes to focus without any adjustment so one less step to have to perform before imaging.

Without:

M42   04012014   Without Flattener

With:

M42 09012014 With Flattener

• 4 years later...

I'm using an OVL non-reducing field flattener with my home made scope using an ED66 lens cell (so effectively the same optics).

It needs a small spacer to get best results.

This is with 1mm spacer (not happy with the colour), still needs a bit more, next to try is 1.5mm. Focus is a bit soft on the veil, still learning with this scope.

1558970626_AndromedaHaOSC.thumb.png.3628fd6d617d9a0d8b29c61a2cbda76f.png

Veil.thumb.png.de062529c35e02cff3c3e4c63e91e521.png

Archived