Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Upgrading from 4" to 6"

Good Evening

I am looking to upgrade my Celestron Nexstar 105 2004 model to a 6" telescope so I can start looking at deep space objects. I really would love to see Andromeda and the great nebula with my own eyes and equipment, I guess a feeling that I found it and I have see it.

So what I am asking is what is the best 6" when you are strapped for cash I know it's going to be over £500 so can I have a little input from you guys would be great.

The Skywatcher 150 Dob would leave change from your £500, best value around, or the SW 200 Dob would still leave some change.......

That's if you are ok with learning the sky and finding stuff yourself, many are, and get great satisfaction.

Regards, Ed.

I find Dobs most at home in the field. They all have three feet exactly like a tripod, so they don't rock about. They don't require any sort of levelling. Kinda plonk and play :)

Not a silly question at all buddy, if you've not used one how do you know. :)

+1 to have a serious consideration of a dob. Be sure to check out the dimensions, they are big beasts!

I have a manual dob and a goto dob. The manual does not need levelling, I never bother. The goto does need to be level for accurate goto performance.

It does open my eyes a lot! Never considered a DOB 10" as we'll within my budget is very tempting.

+1 to have a serious consideration of a dob. Be sure to check out the dimensions, they are big beasts!

I have a manual dob and a goto dob. The manual does not need levelling, I never bother. The goto does need to be level for accurate goto performance.

I do have to lug my current equipment up some stairs and 30 kg seems ok as long as there is good handles or carry position.

I find Dobs most at home in the field. They all have three feet exactly like a tripod, so they don't rock about. They don't require any sort of levelling. Kinda plonk and play :)

Not a silly question at all buddy, if you've not used one how do you know. :)

Thank you buddy much appreciated I would not of known youtube was not helpful at all with that question.:)

Archived