Comet Ison after sunrise

I got up in the morning at 5:30 before sunrise got my camera out looked out of window and nothing only Spica. Went back to bed got up after 45mins (06:15) and was pleasantly surprised to see ison near the sun just after sunrise. Here are the snaps I quickly took taken with a canon EOS 70D and 70-200mm f4L at 70mm and zoomed in at 200mm cropped.

post-21564-0-04045900-1385438401_thumb.j     post-21564-0-42257800-1385438446_thumb.j

I'm 101% certain that you have captured the a foreshortened contrail of a distant airplane going away from you.

Assuming it's at cruising altitude, at that elevation it's maybe 50 or 60 miles away so the plane itself isn't visible.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Yet again a contrail I'm afraid  , Ison is too close to the Sun now to be seen / photographed .

It makes its closest approach to the Sun on the 28th and should  ... ( with a bit of luck ) ... reappear from the 3rd Dec , although the 5th is probably the earliest chance to view properly .

Fingers crossed ...  :laugh:

I agree. Contrails!

However, if Ison behaves anything like the sungrazer C/2011W3 Lovejoy (not the current Lovejoy. A different one from a couple of years ago which was best visible from the southern hemisphere), which burnt itself out after perihelion, it may reappear as a spectacular tail just a few days after perihelion.

So there's the potential for something interesting as soon as this weekend. here's a quick animation of the next few days from SkySafari Pro. OK, the comet is very stylised and we don't really know what it will look like, but it shows how very quickly things happen in the few days after perihelion. If the tail develops like Lovejoy did, then it could rise long enough before the sun to be quite something. This shows the sky at 6:50 every morning for the next week from my location at 52 degrees north.

ison.gif

I'm hoping to defy all odds ( and the cloudy weather ) and see ISON today....at perihelion...using solar projection method. If ( and its a big if ) it reaches magnitude -7 or brighter there's just a faint chance that projection might pick it up. Photographically it would be a first, as I've never seen a solar projection photo with a comet in it.

I'm hoping to defy all odds ( and the cloudy weather ) and see ISON today....at perihelion...using solar projection method. If ( and its a big if ) it reaches magnitude -7 or brighter there's just a faint chance that projection might pick it up. Photographically it would be a first, as I've never seen a solar projection photo with a comet in it.

That's serious optimism, but good luck! You never know.

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to catch Comet ISON on the 13th Nov about 45-60mins before sunrise. 

I was able to get around 10x 120s Luminance only, unfortunately as I had swapped out my RGB filters for narrowband, I was unable to finish it off.

Lots of noise and possibly dew/dust motes, but am pleased I was able to capture my first comet.

post-21564-0-03004700-1386446131_thumb.j 

Archived