NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New OTA what shall i get ?

amus

I have now a eq3 pro synscan goto with 150p OTA .

Just ordered a HEQ5 syntrek ( only put my eq3 handcontroll on it anfd i have HEQ5 Pro SynScan )

I am thinking Skywatcher Quattro f4 8" or Explorer 190MN DS-PRO ( little to expensive though) or just a Explorer 200P-DS OTA.

I am planing to do like only imaging, what do you think i should get ? Have like £500 to spend.

I would imagine that the MN190 would struggle on the HEQ5 - The slightly puff of wind and it will struggle. If you are planning it for just imaging, there are many that are using ED90 refractors to great effect. They are of a relatively short focal length and so place minimal stress on the mount. The HEQ5 will buzz about all night with one of those on the mount. Get guiding and you'll be able to push out subs as long as your DSLR will allow.

Hi, I have the HEQ5 Pro synscan and I'm also looking for an OTA upgrade. I've not decided yet, it's very tricky.

Why are you upgrading?

I think the 190MN is too heavy for the HEQ5 although maybe if you're visual only the mount could cope (perhaps, I don't know just that it's too heavy for imaging on that mount I believe).

Guess it depends what you want to achieve with your new tube, closer DSOs or wider nebula for example?

I'm considering the 200PDS but that size is a bit on the limit on that mount for long guided exposures.

From what I've read (not owned!) the F4's can be pretty fiddly with super accurate collmination requirements, it seems F5 is a sweet spot in terms of speed / vs. fuss.

Hi, I have the HEQ5 Pro synscan and I'm also looking for an OTA upgrade. I've not decided yet, it's very tricky.

Why are you upgrading?

I think the 190MN is too heavy for the HEQ5 although maybe if you're visual only the mount could cope (perhaps, I don't know just that it's too heavy for imaging on that mount I believe).

Guess it depends what you want to achieve with your new tube, closer DSOs or wider nebula for example?

I'm considering the 200PDS but that size is a bit on the limit on that mount for long guided exposures.

From what I've read (not owned!) the F4's can be pretty fiddly with super accurate collmination requirements, it seems F5 is a sweet spot in terms of speed / vs. fuss.

"From what I've read (not owned!) the F4's can be pretty fiddly with super accurate collmination requirements, it seems F5 is a sweet spot in terms of speed / vs. fuss."

Hi,

At F4 or F5 it is not only the collimation that is critical but the main difficulty particualrly @ F4 is the accuracy of focusing a long FL scope. A change of the focuser to a MoonLight or something similar is almost inevitable and these are as expensive as the scope itself.

A.G

What do you not like about your current scope that you want to improve? Do you want a wider field of view or a longer focal length to get up close and personal with smaller objects? Think about what you want to achieve and chose the telescope that gives you that. Plug a few combinations into http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.htm to see what sort of field you could get.

I think the question is not what scope to buy, but rather what do you want to image? Small galaxies and planetary nebula, or larger emmision nebula? The answer to that question will lead you to a choice of an ideal imaging OTA.

Archived