Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eastern Veil From A Light Polluted City.

StuartJPP

Since the moon was up, I didn't bother going off to a darker site so had a bit of a tinker in the back garden. Polar alignment is frustrating with at least one of 3 street lights grabbing your eye's attention no matter what angle I look from. Still I am surprised that I managed to get something. I was out testing kit more than anything else, plus if I ever get to a dark site and it is clear and I image this, I have something to compare.

Modified Canon 1100D
Canon 500mm f/4 L IS @ f/4.0
AstroTrac TT320X mount
ISO800
40x 60 second subs

11016850604_b1e9f9eacb_b.jpg
NGC6992 - Eastern Veil Nebula by StuartJPP, on Flickr

I really like this Stuart - especially for an AstroTrac and DSLR.  And only 40 minutes of data... very very impressive.

When I've tried to image the Veil, I've found it really noisy for some reason... and that was with a lot more data than this.

I really like this Stuart - especially for an AstroTrac and DSLR.  And only 40 minutes of data... very very impressive.

When I've tried to image the Veil, I've found it really noisy for some reason... and that was with a lot more data than this.

Thanks, I would like to try this from a darker site to see how much the LP in my back garden affects it...I am thinking a huge amount.

Superb, I'm itching to try my EF500 out (still waiting for a plate from FLO) as the extra stop (over my 190MN) in light would allow more shadow detail to play with in terms of less thermal noise off the 1100D. I analysed a few dozen darks off my modded 1100D and was surpised how much the background and Std Dev dropped when you halve the exposure time.   

Thanks everyone!

Superb, I'm itching to try my EF500 out (still waiting for a plate from FLO) as the extra stop (over my 190MN) in light would allow more shadow detail to play with in terms of less thermal noise off the 1100D. I analysed a few dozen darks off my modded 1100D and was surpised how much the background and Std Dev dropped when you halve the exposure time.

I would have thought that the MN190 would produce better images since it is designed for the job, though as you say it is 1 stop faster. I use mine because it's all I've got.

Very nice image. Cracking stuff for 40 mins data. Just out of interest what tripod do you use with the setup? and do you use the astrotrac wedge or a camera geared head?

I use the AstroTrac wedge these days, highly recommended. The tripod is my Gitzo GT3351.

Archived