Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Will Ison be visible in a solar scope on 28th?

I'm going to try the solar projection method ( sun image onto a board ) anyway, and see if it shows anything nearby.  I've tested it on Venus, and though it works at twilight...in broad daylight there is just too bright a sky for the method to show anything. So comet ISON would have to be mag -10 or something for projection to show it., especially so close to the sun. As for using a darkened solar lens cap, I'm always worried one of those will break, and in any case they reduce the light so much ( necessarily ) that they'd probably be less likely to show the comet than via projection.

Thanks for the replies.

i expect Ison itself will be too small.  I was wondering whether it might cause any visible disturbance in the sun's surface?  How close is it expected to get?

Andrew

I don't have any figures, but if you could isolate a sunspot and place it in the night sky it would be quite bright. Brighter than Ison.

They only look dark relative to the bright photosphere.

So in my qualitative guestimation Ison would not ever show in white light solar projection. It would be dimmer than the sunspots.

I think :)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I'm not a solar observer/imager, but i wondered about this myself. I know on the 28th that ISON will be right there next to the Sun and i have wondered if it will be visible using the right type of filters on a solar scope. Its got to be worth a try. How amazing would that image be!!!!.

Best of luck to all you solar imaging people.  

I think its going to be too faint to notice......................but never say never. Maybe an image will capture its tail?

Archived