NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

help needed ! square peg round tube ?

dobbie

hi looking for help on how to fix my 10x60 finder onto my mount ( not my scope) has I going to use it as a wide field scope to pair with my celestron 6se , I want to use the base mount that came with the finder as you can see from the first picture that's what I want to do, but stuck on how to attach it to the al/az tube ..anybody done the same? or got any ideas regards john.

post-4273-0-64222500-1385073978_thumb.jp

post-4273-0-65835700-1385074009_thumb.jp

post-4273-0-60627500-1385074047_thumb.jp

Will you still use the 6SE mount?

I have the 6SE and of course the dovetail is used to attach the OTA to the arm of the mount leaving little room to add anything.

It might be possible to remove the dovetail from the OTA and modify it with some threaded holes to take the base of the finder arm.

Though 6SE is a great scope I have found that there is little room for mods to it and attaching other peripherals.

hi baggywrinkle, I have my 6se mounted on the altair sabre mount or my eq5 goto (don't have the old mount) when I use it on the eq5 mount the set up is .. 6se with altair finder on the tube with it being goto I find I don't need the baarder rdf.. , but when I use the altair sabre ( grab n go ) I finder the baarder the best for locating objects , but with the 6se narrow field of view I like the altair as a wide view scope . I might explore what scott said about the jubilee clips ..oh what to do .... :confused:

Just an idea.

Who not look on ebay and have a look and phone/satnav/pda mounts for bicycles which use a flat mounting plate and a clamp to go around the handle bars.

Im sure you could modify one of them to accept the plate for your finder scope.

The thing about clamps is that with the OTA and mounting arm wizzing about all over the place and ending up at funny angles,, you'd need a pretty hefty clamp to stop the finder slipping - it's quite a large lump!

I'd be inclined to pursue Baggy's idea and try to connect it with at least a couple of screws to the underside of the OTA's mounting plate. If you could find a right-angle metal shelf support, that might do the job. The third photo seems to show that you have at least one screw-hole free on your mounting plate.

How about using a split shaft collar like these.

http://www.bearingboys.co.uk/CADB38Z_-_38mm_Shaft_Collar__Double_Split_-40390-p

You'd probably need a couple of them and have to drill & tap a hole in them to attach the finder mount but once tightened they wouldn't slip.

I think you can get them in stainless steel too.

Dave.

Thanks for the input ,woodbob, Pete, Dave, oh & matt lol,, I think I am going with baggys idea , I have two spare holes on the dovetail one I am putting a handle on it the other will put the finder bracket on , will let you know if I succeed / fail regards john .

Archived