Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stiffening the EQ6 clamp....

Gtech

I've succumbed to the last item on my EQ6 upgrade list and ordered an ADM Dual Saddle Clamp from FLO.

The stock clamp isn't very long and coupled with the stock Vixen dovetail (MN190) it just didn't seem very stiff.

I'll also be swapping out the dovetail bar with a 15" Losmandy and will put the stock Vixen bar (with some mods) to use on my Canon EF500. I'm really keen to see how well the Canon EF500 performs as I'm in two minds whether to trade it in for a similar focal length qualty refractor.

I realise that all these EQ6 mods (belt kit, worm bearing replacement and Hypertune) wont yield a 10 Micron, but for the all in  addtional cost ~£270 plus a few hours labour, it has defintely moved the EQ6 up the accuracy and capability chart by a notch or two. 

"I've succumbed to the last item on my EQ6 upgrade list and ordered an ADM Dual Saddle Clamp from FLO."

Mine arrived this morning and I've already fitted it to my AZEQ6 GT. I swear by them - much more substantial and solid than anything I've seen from Skywatcher (including their newer saddles). You'll be impressed with it I guarantee. :)

I've succumbed to the last item on my EQ6 upgrade list and ordered an ADM Dual Saddle Clamp from FLO.

I am afraid that is not the last item on your list. This still needs to be addedhttp://stargazerslounge.com/uploads/monthly_05_2012/post-15675-133877775846.jpg

The Geoptic counterweight bar to replace the flimsy one on the mount

Even the Losmandy bars can be improved upon- I made my own 0.5m long 1" thick version.

_dsf8211_1024_zpsdd845f30.jpg

The upgraded saddle clamps are superb- when you see the Skywatcher beside the ADM (or Altair in my case) you'll understand why. Essential if you're planning to load the mount properly!

Dscf6712_1024_zps1c54413d.jpg 

ADM arrived (but no plate yet) and fitted.....what a nice hefty saddle. Pity the clamp nuts aren't captive.

Now to sort out the DEC drift problem.....

Ah yes the Geoptik CW bar, looks good, but a Moonlight is my next priority, then a stepper focusses, then a.........My, the list is never ending.

Wish I had a Llathe / Mill though, spent my first 10 years earning a living as a Toolmaker/Engineer, 90% of this stuff I could make and save a fortune! Oh well, that what happens when you leave your hands on engineering roots behind for greener managerial pastures.

I am afraid that is not the last item on your list. This still needs to be addedhttp://stargazerslounge.com/uploads/monthly_05_2012/post-15675-133877775846.jpg

The Geoptic counterweight bar to replace the flimsy one on the mount

Or a cheaper version from Orion, this is a direct fit to the EQ6 Pro and is solid as a rock.  Remember you'll need to get your counterweights bored out to 1" though.

This completely solved the problems I had with the stock CW shaft flopping about.

"I've succumbed to the last item on my EQ6 upgrade list and ordered an ADM Dual Saddle Clamp from FLO."

Mine arrived this morning and I've already fitted it to my AZEQ6 GT. I swear by them - much more substantial and solid than anything I've seen from Skywatcher (including their newer saddles). You'll be impressed with it I guarantee. :)

I was looking at doing this with my AZEQ6 GT but I can't see them listed for this mount on FLO's site.  Which version did you get?

Cheers,

Ian

Archived