Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Here we go again ;)

Earl

Well money has been spent and goodies are starting to arrive.

On Friday I have the Plastic shed with roll off roof section arriving.

I have just taken delivery of a HEQ5, its an older black model but has been upgraded to goto.

Arriving tomorrow is also a William 71 with reducer.

Im awaiting confirmation of my QSI delivery date.

HEQ5 pier and EQDIR are also on order.

All I need to get now is a Dewheater and strap for the scope and im all set i think....

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nice one, looking forward to reading how you get on with the build.

Gaz

Cheers Gaz, to be honest there is far less build here than some of the truly fantastic observatory's we see in this forum. However I feel this solution might appeal to a fair few once its proven to do the job.

I currently have my house for sale, I will deffo be building an Obsy in my next garden....... simple is better, cheaper make SWMBO happy. I am open to all suggestion re the actual building so will be watching this, and other build threads, with interest mate. I am thinking a small completely roll off style, but if this ROR plastic shed you have works then that might make my life easier.

Gaz

Looks good Earl :)  Is the pillar mount still at it's full height or did you cut the tube down?  Are you planning to make use of the back part?  Certainly room for a remotely controlled PC and dehumidifier.  I was wondering whether to just leave the mount on the pier and remove the imaging rig when not in use - only needs unlocking and sliding off.  This looks like a pretty good solution though a bit expensive for my second pier.  I'm thinking  :D

Cheers Gina :) The pier is at full height I think it needs about 4 inches taking of it. I agree its not cheep and I know you have the skills to make something up. I think the Guard Post style would be a quick simple solution for you.

This was like a child's toy to build so simple.

The only awkward part was the final corner to take the door I needed to really squeeze it all together to get the final bolt in.

The First issue i have is its quiet light and can move around, I could build a frame for it to sit on which it can be attached too. Id get some 3 x 2 for this but only after I have used it to really be sure its a problem. I could just put some spare slabs in there to weight it down also.

The pier again has to be forward a bit otherwise its too close to the roof.

Im quiet a way from having all the bitz and pieces to finish it but so far so good.

As for the back area, if i need to a dehumidifier can go in there, I will also have the laptop sat back there or maybe even a full pc, Ill get a storage unit of some sort to go inside maybe a plastic shelving unit. 

I was thinking that shed was rather light, though you do have the weight of the pillar mount and mount to weigh it down.  If I had it here it would need anchoring to the ground :D  And yes, it's bigger than I need for mine.  Guess I'll build a wooden box to match my main obsy - sort of :D

Archived