NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Easy Cheap Counter Weight

Mav359

Hi guys

I'm in the process of building my Auto focuser for my SCT, like any new accessory it will add weight and in this case the only mounting point is on the rear cell of the scope.

This means the whole rig will need to be rebalanced, no big deal however in the DEC Horizontal the scope will have to be slid further up the dovetail in order to achieve balance, there is room for that on the dovetail however the camera & hyperstar are getting to the point where they are touching the walls in the OBS (i built my OBS to just fit due to a lack of space).

The obvious solution is to add more weight to the front of the OTA to counter the weight of the new focuser but i don't really fancy paying £100 for some weights and a dovetail when there maybe a Quick and easy DIY option.

Any Suggestions?

LOL

"here's my latest M42 & a 12lb cod from last night"

No a bad idea that, I'd have to check the drop of anything like that to ensure it wasn't clattering the mount though

If it was attached with a stiff wire or a ridged strip of ally that should not be a problem.

i was just thinking about the saftey screw that is in either end of the dove tail which prevent the scope sliding off the mount should the dovetail be loose. I was thing about getting a longer threaded screw that i could feed through a weight perhaps

i was just thinking about the saftey screw that is in either end of the dove tail which prevent the scope sliding off the mount should the dovetail be loose. I was thing about getting a longer threaded screw that i could feed through a weight perhaps

Got no pics but this is exactly what i did i used 100mm long M5 bolts with M5 washers but any bolt or threaded rod of the required size would do

Archived