Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Unmodified DSLR - expectations...

LouisJB

Hi,

I'm currently using my day DSLR for my night time astrophotography. It's fairly decent with good low noise high ISO performance. However it's not IR astro modified and nor does it seem easy to do so.

My question is, what am I missing out on and will it really impair my attempts at imaging.

For example I took a few minutes of the Rossette Nebula a while ago and nothing seemed to appear. In photoshop actually if I really stretch the levels it is there and starts to appear (but it brings out loads of noise of course). So that was one sub of course and with a 2x barlow making my setup at the time slow slow slow F10, but if I can get more subs at F5 prime focus and stack them will it start to appear or am I basically trying to achieve the impossible with an un-modified DSLR?

thanks, Louis

right ok, thank you.

So with longer exposures (assuming guiding working well etc) I could give it a go perhaps, although it's likely to require a lot of patience and time - but until that CCD comes it could be a stop-gap to try it.

Although I guess I'd get a weird balance, should I increase the red or decrease the blue/green the cameras white balance settings to try and help a bit, maybe?

I have gotten great results with an unmodded 60D and 5Dmkiii . To accomplish this i stack at least 40  5 minute exposures at around iso 800-1600 and then dark frames as well for low noise. Works really well to bring out some nice red nebulosity. Give it a go.

I'd say don't get too hung up about having or not having a modded camera. You can get very good results with an unmodded DSLR. You just need a lot of data.

This is a capture of the centre of the Rosette, about 4.5 hours of 5 min subs with my UNmodded Canon 450d on a 250mm f/4.7 Newtonian. Sure, you will capture more with a modded DSLR, or a mono CCD, but this is still one of my personal favourite images even though I now mainly use a CCD with narrowband. Personally, I find that images captured with modded DSLR are just TOO red, and lose some of the subtle colours in nebulae.

10892324706_3cfcc100b4_b.jpg

Hi,

I'm currently using my day DSLR for my night time astrophotography. It's fairly decent with good low noise high ISO performance. However it's not IR astro modified and nor does it seem easy to do so.

My question is, what am I missing out on and will it really impair my attempts at imaging.

For example I took a few minutes of the Rossette Nebula a while ago and nothing seemed to appear.

Expect to want to buy a modded DSLR within a fairly short ammount of time...

Here is a 7 hour exposure of the Rosette nebula under prime conditions... This is taken with a Evostar 80ED 600mm scope, guided by a 500mm scope... Camera is Nikon D3100.

This is pretty much what you can expect to get, imaging with an unmodded DSLR....

I'd say don't get too hung up about having or not having a modded camera. You can get very good results with an unmodded DSLR. You just need a lot of data.

Wow, thanks for the encouragement, that image you have there is quite amazing and if I ever get anything 1/2 as good I'll be pretty chuffed.

So maybe I don't need to throw out the DSLR and get that second mortgage just yet then.

Hi,

For example I took a few minutes of the Rossette Nebula a while ago and nothing seemed to appear. In photoshop actually if I really stretch the levels it is there and starts to appear (but it brings out loads of noise of course). So that was one sub of course and with a 2x barlow making my setup at the time slow slow slow F10, but if I can get more subs at F5 prime focus and stack them will it start to appear or am I basically trying to achieve the impossible with an un-modified DSLR?

thanks, Louis

Hi Louis,

Have read of this it will answer all your questions.

http://www.deep-sky.co.uk/imaging/dslr/dslr.htm

Regards,

A.G

good to know. Nice work. (I'm accumulating information as I can before the next tube purchase)

You can't see the Rossette with the naked eye can you? I've sometimes looked in that area, actually I've never seen a nebula like that, only the bright M42 and a couple of planetaries.

NGC7000 is pretty big.

I see in your kit list a GSO 150 imaging Newtonian, what can you tell me about it - it could be yet another possibility I add to my ever growing list of potential next tubes (and potential next set of problems :D

good to know. Nice work. (I'm accumulating information as I can before the next tube purchase)

You can't see the Rossette with the naked eye can you? I've sometimes looked in that area, actually I've never seen a nebula like that, only the bright M42 and a couple of planetaries.

NGC7000 is pretty big.

I see in your kit list a GSO 150 imaging Newtonian, what can you tell me about it - it could be yet another possibility I add to my ever growing list of potential next tubes (and potential next set of problems :D

Never seen the Rosette visually - but doesn't mean it can't done?

Mini review of 150mm/F4 GSO Newtonian here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/196073-tsgso-150mm-f4-imaging-newtonian/

Due to the poor run of weather I have only used it once since I got it a few months back. I have installed six strong collimation springs in the rear mirror cell and better collimation knobs so hopefully that has improved it?

Archived