Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cheap but good Zoom Eyepiece

Big_Daz

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A quick note on the construction.

The overall build is decent quality, and it comes to bits relatively easy for cleaning or maintenance (just as well really)

The optics come in 3-parts

The glass eyepiece lens is fixed into a plastic holder, and threaded into the top of the metal case.

The bottom two lenses are plastic, and slide on opposing helical tracks (in and out) for the zoom function

The rubber eyecup is quite good, and was a nice tight fit for the first few uses, before I pulled it apart.

You will need to use the eyecup due to the generous eye relief, otherwise there will be some stray light and internal reflections if it is not used.

Obviously the cheap plastic lenses won't have been multi coated - hence the reflections of my eyeball

The filter threads are coated metal - and much better than the black painted threads on my MaxVisions.

The only downside appears to be the plastic lenses.

If these were glass and the assembly wasn't so hit n miss, it would perform a lot better

Everything comes at a price I suppose.

• 4 years later...

I think i go for the seben super zoom 8-24 mm for my PST.(  €61 plus FREE shipping) i have heard somewere that its mutch better then the lunt zoom. I dond believe that, but i think its decent enough for me.......(?) if the zoom dissepoint me then i will go for a APM 10 mm short eyepiece with a bigger eye relief then the plossls. Thanks.

15 minutes ago, andre2 said:

I think i go for the seben super zoom 8-24 mm for my PST.(  €61 plus FREE shipping) i have heard somewere that its mutch better then the lunt zoom. I dond believe that, but i think its decent enough for me.......(?) if the zoom dissepoint me then i will go for a APM 10 mm short eyepiece with a bigger eye relief then the plossls. Thanks.

Hi andre2

You do realize this post is many years old, 2013

if you need some help or advice then it will probably be best to post a new topic in the discussion "eyepieces" . And members will help you 

Thanks 

Archived