Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

moving roof??

Ant F

ok i have seen a few posts and pics of roofs that are on rails, But is there another way it can be done? 

i was thinking maybe hinges as im stuck for space in my garden. i plan on getting a new shed to convert over to an observatory but i need to think how the roofs going to come off.

what kind of shed would be ok? ive seen metal sheds which wouldnt work would they due to heat in summer and dew inside in winter. ive seen plastic sheds but not sure on those. might go for a flat roof shed and pop a hindge on the back and open it out that way.

Even if you hinge the roof, it has to go somewhere outside the obsy when you open it. So you will need space anyway. Might as well roll it off.

There where some clever designs on here a while ago where the roof consists of 2 parts that sort of fold/slide down the sides either side of the obsy. 2-part roofs are not easy to make water and weather proof though....

I had a metal shed and, with the correct ventilation, never had a problem with either heat in the summer or condensation in the winter.  It was modified with an inner frame of wood, the shed simply providing a "skin". (http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/192304-snakeyjs-obsy-build-thread/ shows it in its new home).

Archived