Hi to SGL from the Far East

NeuStar

Welcome to SGL - Glad that you decided to quit the spying and join us! We're a friendly bunch and will always help you spend your ££'s (or whatever the S Korean equivalent is - I was never good at that stuff in quizzes!)

So pull up a chair and enjoy the ride!!

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Hi Sara

Been enjoying navigating your site. Looks like you have buildings around you but yet still rural classification skies. Amazing. Nearly impossible in Korea. (It's Korean Won by the way = currency)  Your husband and the local fabricators did a sturdy job on the mount. Weighs a ton I guess.  Why did you say the 120 ED was too much initially and wanted 80 ED instead? Size matters right? Observatory design reminded me a little of Patrick Moor's suggested designs. But he was using timber I believe back then. Quick Q? I don't understand guidance tech for long exposure - so briefly - how does the scope stay guided so that very distant stars remain pin sharp within the nebula? My guesswork says any variation (is it arc seconds you use?) would cause less than perfect images. Enjoyed your lovely photos. I have a book called 'Universe' full of images, but I was enjoying yours equally.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Sara

Been enjoying navigating your site. Looks like you have buildings around you but yet still rural classification skies. Amazing. Nearly impossible in Korea. (It's Korean Won by the way = currency)  Your husband and the local fabricators did a sturdy job on the mount. Weighs a ton I guess.  Why did you say the 120 ED was too much initially and wanted 80 ED instead? Size matters right? Observatory design reminded me a little of Patrick Moor's suggested designs. But he was using timber I believe back then. Quick Q? I don't understand guidance tech for long exposure - so briefly - how does the scope stay guided so that very distant stars remain pin sharp within the nebula? My guesswork says any variation (is it arc seconds you use?) would cause less than perfect images. Enjoyed your lovely photos. I have a book called 'Universe' full of images, but I was enjoying yours equally.

Thanks, glad that you liked the site. The observatory is superb, the roof is surprisingly light as it's made of an insulated sandwich material attached to a wooden frame.

The 120ED was just full of problems for me - Focuser was a nightmare and really as a first scope it was too much. The 85mm scope that I have at the moment is superb, I love the fov it gives with the CCD I use.

In order to get the long exposures you need for AP, we all use some form of guiding - A separate camera that feeds back to the mount via the PC and keeps the guide star in the same place - hence all of the stars stay nice and round. See if you can get hold of the book 'Making Every Photon Count' if you want to try AP. A super book that is something of an imagers bible and will really explain what you can do and how.

Thanks, glad that you liked the site. The observatory is superb, the roof is surprisingly light as it's made of an insulated sandwich material attached to a wooden frame.

The 120ED was just full of problems for me - Focuser was a nightmare and really as a first scope it was too much. The 85mm scope that I have at the moment is superb, I love the fov it gives with the CCD I use.

In order to get the long exposures you need for AP, we all use some form of guiding - A separate camera that feeds back to the mount via the PC and keeps the guide star in the same place - hence all of the stars stay nice and round. See if you can get hold of the book 'Making Every Photon Count' if you want to try AP. A super book that is something of an imagers bible and will really explain what you can do and how.

Okay - I think I get it.  Guide systems lock onto a particular guide star.  I know the motors are super accurate now.  In the photos your scope looked bigger.  It's an 85mm refractor right?  Yeah I might take a closer look at that book.  Perhaps I need a scope first! lol.  Keep up the good work.

Archived