Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Light SW Explorer 150PL

ardbeg74

Hi All,

Well my scope arrived yesterday evening. Got it set up and took a look outside expecting it to be cloudy but i was in luck, i could see stars and the moon.

Got pointed at the moon... Awesome! So clear and sharp! But ouch, so bright! I did order a variable polarizing filter but that had been sent separately so didnt arrive until today. So kept close to the terminator. The mountains and craters were amazing though. In fact the surface looks like someone has thrown rocks into wet mud!

Later on when Jupiter got higher I took a look. I'd mentally prepared myself not to expect too much. Perhaps like looking with bins but maybe a bit better. Totally blew me away. Even with the 25mm, beautiful yellow disc with two distinct brown bands and 4 pinpoint moons in a staggered line. 10mm was really good. Got a hint of something at the poles and also - maybe a slight twisting in the bands? Sticking the barlow on just destroyed the detail though. 

Tried a few other targets but moon and jupiter were the main ones. For my first look through a telescope i gotta say, im amazed.  (And rather annoyed that its cloudy tonight) Got a couple of questions though...

Do you think the GRS should be visible given better seeing?

Also when repositioning the scope, the EP always ends up pointing in some imposible direction, so i had to loosen the tube clamps and rotate. I assume this is normal and not just me being a noob? 

Anyways a great night had, and looking forward to the next clear sky!

Cheers

Mark

Nice first light report. It's great that it exceeded your expectations, as some people expect to see Hubble-like images.

It is normal to rotate the tube when using a reflector on an EQ mount. If you didn't you could end up with some back and neck problems!

As for the GRS, some people have reported that it is relatively prominent at the moment. Of course whether you can see it at a given time depends on Jupiter's rotation. I think someone posted a link the other day to a website that will tell you when it will be visible.

If you set up with the focuser opposite the weight bar you'll be able to use the eq mount with minimal tube rotation. So pleased that you got the Pl the long tube is ace for planets and general viewing.

Try leaving the end cap on after removing the small cap in the lid. It works a treat on Jupiter and the Moon. It's also great on double stars, try eta Cassiopeiae and the triple iota.

This is a wonderful classic scope, it keeps collimation so well and gives refractor like contrast and is very forgiving on eps.

Try the Bst explorer 25 and 12mm, it'll blow your socks off ! I fitted an RA motor for smooth tracking and filled the Eq3-2 legs with cement.

Nick.

Great report Mark, pleased you weren't disappointed, it always amazes me what you can see with relatively cheap equipment from your own back yard.

Here's the link for GRS timings:- http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/planets/3304091.html?page=1&c=y and here for details of Jupiter's moons and transits:- http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/javascript/jupiter#

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice Guys.

Good to know that tube rotation is normal. Might put some silicone grease on the clamp threads, keep them in good condition.

That makes sense Nick, Ive been putting the EP on the same side as the weights, I'll use the other side from now.

Those pages are great Astro, thanks! I saw the GRS tonight and knew what moons i was seeing!

The colour was really washed out of jupiter tonight. Guess that was because of the moon. So bright in the garden, ended up sitting with a dust sheet over my head. Actually tempted to get an eyepatch :) 

Nick - curious about these bst EP's. Was considering a vixen 8mm NPL but now im not so sure. How does the 12mm bst compare with the SW stock 10mm? What do you suggest for Mars? I want to get a good look at opposition next year. 

RA motor - that would have been so good tonight. Had the barlow and 10mm on jupiter  so adjusting the tracking all the time, no concrete in my legs so, track - wobble -wait, rinse repeat.

That aside, was a good session tonight, saw 4 bands, GRS and i swear i could see the turbulent region next to the GRS. All on stock EP's. So yea, really curious about the higher quality EP's that are available.

Laters

Mark 

Good choice, that's a great scope you've got!

I use BSTs with my 150PL, and for the rotation I've added embroiderer's hoops so the tube doesn't slip when rotating.

You'll also want a Telrad or similar, I couldn't find a thing without it, particularly if you want to start hunting deep sky objects. I also find a right angled finderscope makes back twisting less likely.

The EQ3-2 mount starts to let you down as you add more and more kit to your set up - my total set up weighs about 7 lbs now which is about double the mount's load bearing abilities. But filling the legs with sand makes a difference!

By the way if you're interested to know the level of detail visible on Jupiter when using the 150PL, I've seen (with the 8mm BST) all 4 prominent bands, festoons, the GRS, and also the shadows of the moons tracking across the planet's atmosphere as they transit, so you're in for some great treats this winter! But it does take time at the eyepiece (and unusually good atmospheric conditions) for the higher level of detail to become apparent...

The Bst eps are a great upgrade from standard Plossls. You'll find the eye relief makes them relaxing and a pleasure to use. I use the 25mm for searching and the 12mm for galaxies and deep sky targets.

You'll be needing a minimum of x150 for planetary details and an 8mm is good, although I use a flatfield as it's good in faster ota's.

I have seen the gaps and festoons to the belts and around the GRS.

On rare occasions you will get super seeing conditions. The very best ep that I use is a 6mm Antares Plossl. This gives x200 and very sharp results from a cheap outlay.

This was Mars last year. I got rid of the 5mm as it was rarely used, but you can what the 150pl and this Bst can do, Nick.post-6974-0-63985300-1384603853_thumb.jp

Hi All,

.........Also when repositioning the scope, the EP always ends up pointing in some imposible direction, so i had to loosen the tube clamps and rotate. I assume this is normal and not just me being a noob? 

Cheers

Mark

Totally normal, and time wasting? (for me anyway) and the reason I changed to a Dobsonian mounted Newtonian. The Dobsonian mount cures that issue, nice report, glad your happy with the results. The continual adjustments you have to make, gets quicker with  use.

Eyepatch it is then Astro. Just need a wooden leg to store my EP's in and I'm sorted :)

Took a look at the tetrad on FLO Planetesimal, looks good, another thing for the shopping list. Existing finder scope isn't that great, but wondering if its possible to convert it into a polar scope. Would be accurate enough for that.

Glad to know there is still more detail to come, seeing shadows of the moons would be awesome. (according to the sky and telescope jupiter calculator, io is casting a shadow right now) 

Was a long session last night, 3hours on Jupiter. But there were moments of clarity that made it all worth while. ( A flask of coffee and a pack of biscuits helped too )

Nick thats awesome! Think I'll go with the BST 8mm flatfield. Be after christmas though, but also gives mars some time to get visible from my location.  

Also going to buy an adjustable ironing chair. Being comfy at the eyepiece made all the difference last night. When jupiter was high enough i dropped the height of the mount and sat on a garden chair. That was when i got my best results. But an adjustable chair is going to be way better and easier on the backside too :)

Charic - yea i was really tempted to get a dob, but my garden is surrounded by tall trees so getting an extra meter higher on the mount makes a big difference (i think). Its also easier for me to reposition quickly. But it was very tempting. The money you would have spent on an EQ mount can go into a bigger objective, or more accessories. Happy with the 150PL and its wobbly mount though :)

Laters

Mark

Archived