Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jacob's Ladder IC4633 & IFN in Apus - Veloce RH200

Boren

Hi guys,

Here's another of the Kalahari Desert fruit, which has been awaiting processing since our travel to Namibia in May.

I am time and again astonished at the delicacy of details that the Veloce RH 200 and STL 11K bring about, in both dark and bright nebulae alike.

The overall view reminded me about the Biblical story about Jacob's ladder - hence the name. The full verse is on my site :-)

I have posted two versions:

A non-annotated version:
http://www.pbase.com/boren/image/153191210/original

and an annotated version:
http://www.pbase.com/boren/image/153191208/original

I hope you like it, and as always, any comments are more than welcome.

Best, Harel

post-7784-0-74910700-1383832599_thumb.jp

post-7784-0-56073800-1383833018_thumb.jp

Harel, this is a smashing image - dark, dusty and detailed - really nice.

Martin

Thank you Martin,

I am happy you liked it.

What I really like about this art is that you can take the moment home with you, to cherish again, and again, again.

I enjoy looking at the images so much. Makes me feel like a kid again :-)

Cheers,

Harel

Very nice and rich! Brown stuff is really cool to catch and you certainly have it there. How do you find the Veloce? Does it always deliver or have you had any issues with it... Interesting scope...

/per

Thanks Per, I love the dark brown patches more than even the brightest emission nebulae :-)

Regarding the Veloce, I am very satisfied with the scope. It is very reliable, and once you've had the orthogonality of the camera plain set right, it will keep focus for many hours on end (sometimes the whole night through) and be able to replicate quality and results night after night, even months apart.

I frankly can't see myself parting from this scope, ever.

Cheers,

Harel

That's lovely, what a stunning, deep field. Must be tricky to frame something so faint!

Thanks Lewis,

Regarding framing - I was able to see the nebulosity in the 10 minute exposures at bin 1, and very general view in bin 4 in 20 second exposures.

Indeed, I was able to get the accurate framing only after some trial and error.

This image is in fact a crop of the larger frame, so it wasn't that perfect in the original :-)

Thanks again for looking,

Best,

Harel

Your usual impossible standard on the dusty stuff, Harel.

You say that the RH is fine once orthogonality is sorted. I spent a couple of frustrating nights failing to help an owner get this sorted on his RH. It seemed that the slightest touch on the the tilt adjuster made large and unsystematic changes. Any idea what we were doing wrong??

Olly

Your usual impossible standard on the dusty stuff, Harel.

You say that the RH is fine once orthogonality is sorted. I spent a couple of frustrating nights failing to help an owner get this sorted on his RH. It seemed that the slightest touch on the the tilt adjuster made large and unsystematic changes. Any idea what we were doing wrong??

Olly

Thanks Olly,

I am happy you liked the results of my last encounter with the Dark Side :-)

Regarding orthogonality: Yes - it took us nearly a whole night last year (after endless tries) to understand that we were actually not aware of the right position of the camera chip. We thought it is actually 90 deg to what it actually is. This is common which the SBIG ST 8300, which (when installed with the filter wheel) gives the illusion that the chip is located along the long side of the filter wheel, while the truth is that it is actually 90 deg to that. Now, of courrse, if you don't understand the true orientation of the chip, then your tweeking of the plate is always 90 deg off !! From the moment that we figured out the true orientation of the chip, it took us 10 miin. to reach perfect - really PERFECT - round stars throughout the image. You can check out the result of that night here: http://www.pbase.com/boren/image/147972462 reaching star roundness of 0.038 !!!

You can see more experiences, on the 2nd night out with the Veloce, here: http://www.pbase.com/boren/officina_stellare_veloce_rh_200_second_light

Cheers,

Harel

Archived