NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SCT with focal reducer, OAG and Atik 314

Hi Folks.

With Jupiter coming round fast, I'm torn between using my C9.25 and my 80mm APO in the obsy. So..........

Does anyone have a diagram or photo showing how a SCT, focal reducer, OAG and CCD all fit together? Any examples are good as I'm trying to make sure I get all the bits I need, as I'm contemplating fitting my C9.25 to the mount in the obsy to reduce set up / strip down times between imaging and visual rigs.

I used smaller SCTs for some DS imaging (C8, and the C11 from picture). That worked more or less, but it was to wind fragile on open space, and I wanted even lower resolution (big pixel camera would be cool, or smaller than Atik 314L+ and f/3.3 reducer). For planets SCTs rock, but that on ~f/20 depending on camera.

It's always hard to tell from pictures but this doesn't look right to me, the quoted reducer to CCD spacing for the Celestron reducer to work at F6.3 is 110 mm. The spacing in the attached picture looks much more than that.

It will still work but won't be optimum.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well. My OAG arrived and my focal reducer. Hit a snag though... Grrrrrr..............

The spacer provided by Celestron, that connects to the back of the focal reducer, is too long.

When I try to fit the OAG it clouts the back of the filter wheel. I've drawn quick sketch to show what I mean.

What I need is a shorter Celestron spacer so I can fit more spacers to the back but I can't find anything that suits.......... :mad:  :mad:  :mad:

Any advice appreciated.

post-6511-0-34941400-1384177100_thumb.jp

Sorry only just seen this thread so just a couple of pics of my 10" SCT with 6.3 f/r Atik OAG, Atik EFW2 Filter wheel and Atik 314L+ with 2" SCT visual back screwed to the f/r the distance to the CCD chip is about 110mm 

without any spacers.

Apologies for picture quality. 

Dave

post-21198-0-81899800-1384458197_thumb.j post-21198-0-93665400-1384458201_thumb.j

Cheers folks.

Well the adapters arrived and hey presto, it all screws together.

One of these was the key:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/161093754995?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&lpid=95&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=95&ff19=0

Very low profile and perfect for the job.

Spacing is around 105 - 110mm. Just got to wait for the full moon to bug out so I can really test it.

post-6511-0-44964500-1384459595_thumb.jp

Here is my latest setup with my Meade 8" SCT and Celestron radial guider ( OAG ) + Starlight Xpress SXVF-H9C, with a spacing of 160mm. Increasing the spacing gives me exactly f5.3,

Vignetting is not a problem now as its actually vignetting the whole frame so this means that the frame has completely even illumination, though it does mean I'm loosing about 1" of aperture, but my images are definitely better than when using the stock spacing of 105mm.

If the same spacing was used on a 10 or 12" act there would be no loss of aperture as the larger sct's have a larger baffle tube.

Lee

post-6111-0-91708500-1385028867_thumb.jp

Here is my latest setup with my Meade 8" SCT and Celestron radial guider ( OAG ) + Starlight Xpress SXVF-H9C, with a spacing of 160mm. Increasing the spacing gives me exactly f5.3,

Vignetting is not a problem now as its actually vignetting the whole frame so this means that the frame has completely even illumination, though it does mean I'm loosing about 1" of aperture, but my images are definitely better than when using the stock spacing of 105mm.

If the same spacing was used on a 10 or 12" act there would be no loss of aperture as the larger sct's have a larger baffle tube.

Lee

Thanks Lee.

Interesting read. Not had a chance to check mine yet (clouds or full moon, or too much work) but form what you are saying the spacing makes no difference on achieving focus just on getting the right F ration. Is that correct?

Archived