Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M42 and Running man

JohnC64

Hi All,

Taken with the Esprit 80ED with Canon 1100D (Modded).    I wasn't sure whether to post it or not as it does have some star distortion issues (mainly on the left hand side). This was because I didn't have the correct flattener spacing when taking this image although that should be sorted very soon.

It does though show what can be achieved with a DLSR on an esprit and does bode very well for what can be done with the scope. It doesn't have flats so you can see a few dust bunnies.

It is 30 x 10s, 30 x 60s and 12 x 120s. individually stacked in Nebulosity, stretched in PI and then hdr'd together using the exposure blend python-fu macro in GIMP. 

Cheers John

Edit Jpg was awful after uploading - switched to png
post-12165-0-57626400-1383501417_thumb.p

Hi Olly - no wavelets like PI here, this is an exposure blend (A dark mage, a medium image and a light image) But the script does blends them  automatically. Looking at my 10 seconds subs, looks like i should have taken 5seconds.

post-12165-0-98276800-1383515976_thumb.p

Bunnygod - I still have the camera set up on the scope - just need to get the flats for this.

John 

That's beautiful.  Personally I like to see the trapezium a little burn't out since this helps give an impression of the dynamic range of the target.  Images showing unsaturated trapezium stars can look very flat.  Very nicely processed and you've even managed to pull out some dust.

Very nice start John and a great image for a DSLR :)  I plan to do some more DSLR imaging sometime - when I get round to finishing the camera mods.  As you know, other things are occupying my time ATM :D  So much to do - so little time :D 

Archived