NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Flaming Star, Tadpoles and NGC417.

ollypenrice

All done last night using mine and Tom's FSQ106/Atik 11000 setups with guest Alex. Ha 11x30 mins, Astrodon 3Nm. Colour 2 Hrs per channel , 10 min subs. Total 11.5 Hrs. Impossible to hold the fine detail in the colour so we'll post the Ha as well. The Tadpoles are 11 Lightyears long...

The colourful nebula on the left is NGC417 which is just south of M38 out of view.

Flaming%20Star%20Ha%20Web-L.jpg

Tadpoles...

IC%20410%20Tadpoles-XL.jpg

And in colour...

IC405%2011-L.jpg

Bigger; http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/i-PWL6snn/0/X3/IC405%2011-X3.jpg

Cheers,

Olly

I love the Ha detail and that field of view is sublime. These are on my list for this year, but I will be doing at least a 2x2 mosaic. Do you find you end up with just a little too much Ha data these days?

Cheers Sara. Too much Ha? No, not enough! In this case a natural stretch of the Ha didn't register any effect on the red channel also stretched to its natural limit. Once applied to red in blend mode lighten I had to lift it in situ to get it to contribute, and then it did so.

The hard part in this target is keeping the stars down in the broadband data. The vista is absolutely stuffed with stars! Last time I tried it was in your scope at 4.5 arcsecs per pixel and 328mm. It was easier this time. You'll be laughing with the 460, I think, with its nice small pixels.

It's hard to know how the forum and SmugMug will affect the colours so here's one with the reds eased down by a gnat's crotchet.

IC405%2011%20HRS%20RED%20DOWN-L.jpg

Olly

Very nice shot.Olly Is adding the Ha in blend mode lighten the only way you add ha to your RGB and does using this method get the best from that hard earned ha data 

For me it's the main method, yes. It's honest, since Ha is red, and it preserves star colour. I add a little as lum as well, taking care not to turn everything pink. I find the 3Nm Astrodon Ha can be used harder as Lum than the 7 Nm I had before.

Is this the best way to use Ha? I don't know. It's he best way I've yet found but I'm still looking!

Olly

Second version looks much better on here Olly.

But one question, are so many of the stars supposed to be blue? It almost looks like what I encountered when pushing the blue channel, perhaps more blue for the pot?

I think they're right. This seems to be what others have found. I didn't push the blue particularly hard. Greg and Noel have a version here; http://www.newforestobservatory.com/wordpress/wp-content/gallery/nebulae/flaming_star_nfo.jpg

In the central cluster the four blue stars making a parallelogram shape range from B9 to A7 so they're pretty hot. They may also be scattering blue light in the gas and dust around them. All the central cluster stars have haloes which may be genuine rather than from our atmosphere, but I don't know how to tell.

Since I've got strongly blue stars next to strongly red ones without any differential processing I'd have thought the calibration couldn't be too far out. I've gone for strong star colour, though, to let the blues offer some colour counterpoint to the widespread reds of the nebulae. Aesthetically I'm glad they're blue, at least!!

Olly

(The only comment I'd make is that these three look a little cramped in the frame, Olly...  Maybe you need a wider field camera? :grin:)

Although you've said you'd like more Ha, you've certainly captured an AWFUL lot of it!  Your and Tom's rigs are certainly obviously very much in tune with each other and it's always a pleasure to see another of your superb images... :smiley:

Ive taken a look at the image link you posted, the difference in star colour between that and yours is the background stars - which to my eyes do seem to be bit blue. The stars within the main cluster, as you said are hot blue - and they appear to be perfectly fine.... but its probably just me nitpicking :)

But as usual its a cracker regardless.

Archived