Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader zoom eyepiece and dedicated barlow ..help req.

Fish

Im going to get the Baader zoom eyepiece but is it worth getting the dedicated barlow ?

I understand the barlow only fits on the zoom eyepiece.

I have other eyepieces and need a better barlow to use with them.

Will I be better getting a quality barlow that I can use with all eyepices?

If so what barlow will be the equivalent of the baader?

I do not see the point in having a dedicated Barlow as it rather defeats the object of having one in the first place, I didn't even know such a thing existed :smiley:

A 2x Barlow seems a bit pointless with a zoom as you will only be repeating what the zoom does anyway.

For EG  with an 8-24 mm zoom:-

24mm with a Barlow = 12mm - your zoom already has 12mm

There may be some benefit at the higher magnifications but you will need to consider what worthwhile magnification your scope can actually achieve :smiley:

The Baader barlow adapterthat you can get for the zoom is a 2.25x one, which gives the zoom a range of about 10.5mm to 3.5mm.

It will also fit standard 1.25" eyepieces.

I have one, but, I must admit, I have not used it enough to comment on its abilities as yet!

I have the Baader 8-24 zoom and the Baader 2.25 Barlow .

With the Barlow you get 10.6mm, 8.9mm, 7mm, 5.3mm, 3.5mm.

These are my most used eyepieces that give good sharp images in my 120ed.

Excellent on doubles, planets and star clusters.

High power views of the moon are breathtaking.

Avtar

That is a good point from Pig - the zoom will do a lot of the work BUT if you do want one for other EPs, and for higher mag than the 8mm, then if I were to get one it would be the TV Powermate - never heard a bad thing about them

I understand from historical posts that the Powermate's are quite long so this is worth considering if you use a large eyepiece with it :smiley:

Archived