Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSS importing Raw files as 1/4 width.

frugal

After a cpuple of weeks of staring glumly at the weather forcast, I finally had a clear night last night. So I thought I would make the most of it.

I took thelittle telescopw out and did some visual observing, and I also took out the DSLR on a tripod to have my first go at widefield shots. Backyard EOS was great I could set off a series of 20 or 30 shots and then leave it whilst I went back to the scope to do some visual spotting.

When I came back in I of cpurse had to play with stacling the shots. However for some reason when I loaded the Raw files into DSS it loads then with a quarter width: 1300x4500 rather than 5400x4500 (ish). I did not notice at first and it happily stack the images and the resultant file only had the left most quarter of the image.

I use the Canon tools to convert them all to 16bit Tiffs and the DSS would load them full size. Does any one have a clue what I did wrong? I could not find any settings that would help. Of course at this point my wife was pointing out that I needed to get up and go to work in less than 6 hours and maybe I should gp to bed amd deal with it later ;)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Peter is correct, there have been a number of posts regarding this issue with the canon 1100D and CR2 Raw files its strange though that my canon 650D with the same file format has no issues.

The CR2 format, whilst named the same is actually different between cameras and the raw processor used needs to be able to support the specific camera. DSS uses an external raw processor and it's getting updated with the new raw formats, is only available in the beta release at the mo. Therefore if you have a newer Canon, or other camera for that matter, you'll need to use the latest beta release.

Cheers all. I will definitely try the beta version tonight. Then I Just have to figure out why Photoshop refused to open the output tiff file...

I have the same problem with PS Elements latest version, error message says not enough RAM i found that if you save it again as a TIFF from DSS then all is ok.

What version of Photoshop are you using.. how old is it? The older versions can't handle the higher bit depth tiffs...

It is CS4 so it should handle it. Certainly it seems to cope with 16 and even 32 bit tiffs, but for some reason it does not like the output file.

Having a quick Google it seems that certain versions of Photoshop are twitchy when it comes to reading tiff files. To make matters worse it gives an out Of memory error rather thana parse error. I can only assume that it thinks it needs to allocate a huge amount Of memory for to something in the file.

I have the same problem with PS Elements latest version, error message says not enough RAM i found that if you save it again as a TIFF from DSS then all is ok.

Thanks, I will try that as well. I was using the autosave.tif file.

I need to spend a couple of hours just experimenting with DSS to see what it does. One thing I am finding with astronomy programs is that they are written with function over form. They do the job really well, but they are not intuitive to use.

Thanks, I will try that as well. I was using the autosave.tif file.

I need to spend a couple of hours just experimenting with DSS to see what it does. One thing I am finding with astronomy programs is that they are written with function over form. They do the job really well, but they are not intuitive to use.

Yeh my PS dosent like the autosave file but a manual save is fine. 

One thing I am finding with astronomy programs is that they are written with function over form. They do the job really well, but they are not intuitive to use.

Partly that's because they can be doing complex things.  Partly I think it's because good UI design is really quite hard and programmers aren't necessarily (pretty much certainly, some would say) the best people to do it.  And partly it's because writing documentation is tedious when you're getting paid for it.  When you're creating an application in your own time to give away free, it's exceptionally hard to work up the enthusiasm to do it.  It's even worse when you start adding features and have to go back to modify documentation to suit.

James

Partly that's because they can be doing complex things. Partly I think it's because good UI design is really quite hard and programmers aren't necessarily (pretty much certainly, some would say) the best people to do it. And partly it's because writing documentation is tedious when you're getting paid for it. When you're creating an application in your own time to give away free, it's exceptionally hard to work up the enthusiasm to do it. It's even worse when you start adding features and have to go back to modify documentation to suit.

Don't get me wrong, I am not belittling the work that they are doing. I did 10 years of professional software coding before I moved onto more esoteric areas. Writing algorithms is hard, writing user interfaces is hard, and they are completely different skill sets which makes it even harder to do both well at the same time.

To everyone that helped me out: You are all stars, it worked perfectly.

The beta version of DSS handled the RAW files fine, and saving a TIFF rather than just using the Autosave.tif file allowed me to open it up on Photoshop. Thank You

Archived