Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M27 bicolur @ 1960mm focal length

x6gas

She's right, too.

Do you know the image circle for the Celestron reducer? They seem a bit quiet on this one.

Olly

It's quoted as 42mm Olly, (http://celestronsites.com/astroimaging/products-page/accessories/edgehd-7x-reducer-lens-11-inch-2/) though that drops off the further away you are from the optimal metal back of 146mm.  I really noticed that the guide stars from the OAG are in much better shape than with the Optec Lepus where they were distinctly liney...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How did you go about the Hypertuning? Apologies if this is hijacking the thread a bit.

There is very useful information in these two threads:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/155077-cgem-project-complete/?hl=%2Bhypertune#entry1613497

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/154772-cgem-hypertune/?hl=+hypertune

and the CGEM is very similar in design to the EQ6 so much of Astro-Baby's guide also applies.  It's not a hugely difficult job if you have patience and the right tools...

Fabulous detail in the outer shells Ian, and as we've come to see with your work there's quality and subtle processing underpinning the image - well done!

Martin

Many thanks Martin - couldn't have got this far without you and the many others who have offered help, tips, encouragement, advice, and constructive criticism over the past couple of years.  SGL really is the best.

Wow, this looks truly amazing. I see more and more amazing images done with edge hd but i also see posts saying to avoid these when imaging.

Well, not sure what to think anymore, but I enjoy amazing images. :)

Skickat från min HTC Desire S via Tapatalk 2

Thanks Michael, Roger, and Baffa and everyone for the nice comments and likes.  I wasn't sure what kind of reception the colour scheme would get as I went for a lighter blue than is typically seen, but that was done deliberately to show the outer halo a bit better.

I see more and more amazing images done with edge hd but i also see posts saying to avoid these when imaging.

Well the EdgeHDs are imaging scopes - and you don't really need the flat field for planetary imaging (for which the long focal length is ideal, of course) and I think plenty of people questioned what they are for, especially since it took an eternity to get the reducer to market.  I bought the scope to capture galaxies and smaller DSOs like planetary nebula but I was quite inexperienced when I bought it and if I am honest didn't appreciate just how challenging guiding would be at focal lengths about and above 2 metres (and I did have some idea!).  So it's been a journey for me.

I have to say that I've been quite disappointed with the results I've got from the scope for planetary imaging but that's more to do with the imager rather than the kit.  Poor collimation (now better, but I haven't tried planetary for a while) and / or poor seeing didn't help either!

Some superb detail there, this scope is good at this targets, you can probably shorten sub-exposures.

If you capture tonnes of Ha it will be as deep as the image you shown from other guys,

Mark

Thanks Mark. I was actually pretty happy with the length of subs - this length doesn't saturate any of the nebula.  It's the relatively few number of them that it would be good to address and yes I'd like to get more Ha and more OIII and some RGB for the stars for good measure!

Superb!!!!!!!!

Fay

Thank you Fay - I am very happy with this for a couple of hours worth of data!

Archived