Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

binoviewer william optics 1.6 barlow

Hi guys , does anyone know where I can find the Williams optics 1.6 Barlow nosepiece , been looking on web can't seem to find it , is it only sold as as package? As I can't focus without it otherwise , or is they another way to achieve focus regards dobbie .

I don't know if it's only sold with the BV package - but it's not like a standard eyepiece barlow cos it screws into the nose of the binoviewers. I have taken my 1.6x off and used the bv's with a 2x barlow though and achieved focus easily enough. Hope that helps :)

(you may have to change the eyepieces to a different size depending on which scope you're using and fov required).

I bought a pair of binoviewers which did not include the 1.6x barlow but I was able to use this magni-max from Scope'n'skies. Here is a link - http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/astro-engineering/barlow/astrophotography/AC555.html

I use my binoviewers mainly with my 4" Astro Tech APO frac and I need to use this 1.6x barlow to gain focus. The quality is very good. Hope this helps.

Mark

PS - I also on occasions use these barlows from Baader - http://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-planetarium/baader-classic-q-225x-barlow.html or http://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-planetarium/baader-hyperion-zoom-barlow.html

sorted... just unscrewed the end off my spare 2x tal barlow :eek: fits perfect , just need some ep,s now using two 26mm ortho,s at the mo , what ep's are recommended for bino viewers what does everbody else use?

Dobbie - when I view the Sun through the Herschel Wedge the 25mm plossls are an excellent choice with the Sun almost filling the whole FOV. I have tried to work out the magnification based on the scopes focal length (709mm) + the 1.6x barlow + the extra focal length of the binoviewers (65mm) which comes to 1200mm. approx. This should give me a magnification of 48x and with a 52 degree plossl this should give me a FOV of 1 degree?? However, as I said the Sun almost fills the FOV so my calculations are going wrong somewhere. Its almost as if the binoviewers + the barlow are making the 25mm plossls act like 8mm plossls?

For this reason I mainly use just he 25mm in the 4" frac. If I use the binoviewers in the 180 Mak/Cass then I don't need the 1.6x barlow. I have a  pair of Skywatcher 15mm wide field and a pair of 12.5mm William Optics planetary. Again in theory the 12.5mm should give me a magnification of 216x but it is greater than that.

So my conclusion is if you need to use a barlow to gain focus don't buy eyepieces that are too powerful. I would say a set of 15mm, 20mm and 25mm are the best options.

Mark

thanks mark for the info , I have two 26mm uo ortho,s  but not tried them yet as my brother has the other one ( which I am in the process of getting it back off him ) it might cost me scones and coffee , I also have a mak/cass  a nextstar 6se , as I am reading your post you don't need a barlow to achieve focus ? .

Dobbie - when I view the Sun through the Herschel Wedge the 25mm plossls are an excellent choice with the Sun almost filling the whole FOV. I have tried to work out the magnification based on the scopes focal length (709mm) + the 1.6x barlow + the extra focal length of the binoviewers (65mm) which comes to 1200mm. approx. This should give me a magnification of 48x and with a 52 degree plossl this should give me a FOV of 1 degree?? However, as I said the Sun almost fills the FOV so my calculations are going wrong somewhere. Its almost as if the binoviewers + the barlow are making the 25mm plossls act like 8mm plossls?

For this reason I mainly use just he 25mm in the 4" frac. If I use the binoviewers in the 180 Mak/Cass then I don't need the 1.6x barlow. I have a  pair of Skywatcher 15mm wide field and a pair of 12.5mm William Optics planetary. Again in theory the 12.5mm should give me a magnification of 216x but it is greater than that.

So my conclusion is if you need to use a barlow to gain focus don't buy eyepieces that are too powerful. I would say a set of 15mm, 20mm and 25mm are the best options.

Mark

I found the same with my C9.25 SCT. The binos act like an extension tube and I have to re-focus quite considerably, which changes the focal length of the system as the primary mirror moves. I reckon that my 20mm EPs in my binos give a similar mag to a 15 mm EP sitting in the diagonal. It's quite significant. The lowest I use with binos is 15mm, which should give about 150x, but it seems to be closer to 200x.

• 5 years later...
On 24/10/2013 at 14:30, brantuk said:

I don't know if it's only sold with the BV package - but it's not like a standard eyepiece barlow cos it screws into the nose of the binoviewers. I have taken my 1.6x off and used the bv's with a 2x barlow though and achieved focus easily enough. Hope that helps :)

(you may have to change the eyepieces to a different size depending on which scope you're using and fov required).

Archived