Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Webcam instead of my 60D

RobertC

Ah £60 ain't too bad, sadly i am using win8 and finding a driver for the 840 will be a pain. I shall have to compare around a few before i set my heart on one. Thanks guys !

The camera's firmware can be reflashed to make the computer recognise it as a SPC900NC (TouCam Pro3) so it might still work on win8. You might need a XP machine to do it though.

I know very little about...well... pretty much everything astronomy related :)

However can i suggest you look at video camera options. Im pretty sure they are far better than a webcam especially when it comes to DSO's!

Example would be the ever growing in popularity Samsung SCB2000. Its a very sensitive camera and can be picked up for cheapish (£40-80 depending on luck). Its very very simple to modify for astronomy.

Even a complete novice like me can get some kind of results on DSO's.

This was my first ever attempt at any kind of astro pic to give you a rough idea of what to expect from it. Its not been processed in anyway i just hit "print screen" when watching the video back on windows media player.

Have a look in the video astronomy section for some really breathtaking unprocessed images from people that know what they are doing :) 

Cheers

Chris

post-31247-0-68044500-1382721672_thumb.j

Archived