Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Close call!

Stargazer_00

I was just out observing, it was windy and cloudy but fun nonetheless.  The Moon wasn't up when I started an hour ago so I was having a bit of fun looking through the fast moving clouds with my grab and go.  I managed to spot M34 for the first time this year, so that was fun.

All off a sudden I noticed it got really bright all around, like someone turned on a huge diffuse light.  I looked up and could see the moon sitting on the horizon between the roof tops and a swathe of white cloud had moved in overhead, all white.  So obviously the moon was lighting up the cloud.  

I was sitting back marvelling at how some cloud and the moon could turn what was a relatively dark garden 30 seconds ago into something not much dimmer than twilight to my dark adjusted eyes when the sky flared from horizon to horizon through the cloud with the brightest arc of light I've ever seen, side to side in less than a split second and then half a second later an almighty thunder crack!

Immediately I got an adrenaline rush and felt like a man sitting next to a pile of metal under a lightning storm.  I reflexed and immediately picked up the scope and tripod and moved into my shed a few feet away.  No sooner did I get through the shed door than the most remarkable torrent of rain came pelting down!   I ran back out to get my chair (no kit left behind!) quickly covered the scope inside the shed and picked up my eyepiece case as the rain started to gather momentum and really drive itself down, sounding like a gale through leaf burdened trees.  I quickly shut and locked the shed door in one fluid ninja like movement, with animal-esque muscle memory kicking in, thinking only of getting in out of the storm I darted for my back door and safety.   Less than 2 minutes previously I'd been sat at my eyepiece observing only then to be stood in my house looking out at a lightning storm and pouring rain.  Slightly damp but with a spring in my step I stepped into my Kitchen and made a cuppa.

Whoever thought you could have such fun with astronomy!! :D

Great report. I can just picture the scene

Couple of short but torrential downpours here. My weather station console at one point actually read ' Raining cats and dogs' which I don't recall seeing before!

Did you step in a poodle :grin:

Archived