Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Half term holiday

Spacecadet2010

Am off to North Devon for October half term next week (near Bideford), with he family. Does anyone know of any astro related events or astronomy sessions running in the area or something suitable for young children. My eldest daughter is just starting to take an interest and am trying to encourage her.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Thanks guys. We are staying in Parkham, so quite close and hopefully quite dark. Was going to bring the bins down, and camera and tripod. Have been looking on AstroAdventures website and it doesn't say anything about casual observing but might drop them a line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

As a Bideford local I know of no events that week as north devon astro club meet first Wednesday of the month.

Parkham itself should be quite dark unless you are unlucky enough to be near a specific streetlight.

As above the closest really dark place is Hartland, a little further away there are a number of car parks in Exmoor that are designated 'Dark Sky' sites.

I too am hoping for clear nights as our godson is coming down for a few days and think he would love the views from our 250 Dob.

• 4 weeks later...

I live about 3 miles from Parkham, towards Bradworthy.  Skies round there are really dark when clear.  There is some traffic but on a clear night you have wonderful views!  Have a scout round when you get there, lots of little tracks away from the traffic to set up with the right horizons etc.  I have been to AA to check their scopes out in the day but never at night, they are  really friendly and run an astro shop in Bideford that is worth a look for checking out the size/weight of scopes etc and their prices aren't bad, thought like most shops they struggle to compete with Amazon/FLO etc.

Enjoy!

Archived