Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observatory Camera

MeyGray3833

Hi!

I didn't know which area to put this in so I thought here would be a start.

I want to put an observation camera in my observatory so when I am remote imaging I can see if(LOL! and when) the scope and/or camera are doing what they are supposed to and not crashing into mount or pier.

A regular web cam is no good and I was concerned about the infra red camera and what it will do while imaging. I know that there is uv/ir cut on the filters but is that enough.

Does anyone have any experience with the IP camera and can you turn them off or on? The thought there is that I can switch of the IR camera while imaging and just turn it on when slewing.

Thanks in advance.

Maybe no one knows? ;)

I bought a couple of tiny, generic low-light cameras. One for I use in an electronic finder.

T'other for mount monitoring...  

http://www.cameras-cctv.com/2005xa-pinhole-camera 

(Now out of stock! But fairly ubiquitous?) :o

The "ExView" chip is about the most sensitive (0.0003 lux) you can get cheaply? But it still requires some external source of (natural, visible or IR) light. With low level Red LED lights in the observatory - pointed away from the scope, it is certainly possible to just about make out the wires to the mount. These light levels don't impact noticeably on my VIDEO Astronomy, but who knows? As you say, will an IR block filter out (typical, brighter) IR illumination etc. Dunno yet! For now, I run a 30m combination (signal + power) security cable, powered from the house to observatory and lashed-up to the lounge TV! I have a number of other cables / screen possibilities under evaluation. I might ultimately power the camera off the (switchable) mount + associated electronics 12V spur? I plan ultimately to control (some) observatory power remotely etc.  :)

A fair question - I see where you're coming from re. frustration. Don't have money for "research" either. lol

Maybe I/we could get sponsorship from: "Hey guys, just bought an XXX - Are they any good"? etc. types! :D

I got some Foscam's a couple of years ago. Haven't noticed any difference if the night vision is on or off when imaging but I tend to switch it off during the runs these days. Works great to keep an eye on things from 'puter or phone & also doubles up to compliment the alarm system with motion detect etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Some cameras with integral IR LEDs aren't really all that sensitive - Particularly the larger chip, budget ones. They probably rely mostly on there being plenty of external IR lighting available. Something to try though? Personally I'm more pursuing the idea of a sensitive-as-possible camera with (I suspect it still needs) "local" IR lighting - 12v IR LEDs are commonly available from electronics suppliers. Ultimately, you need not light up the whole observatory etc.  :)

Archived