ISS short film

I took these frames from my back garden back in August and have only now got round to putting them together.  Shot on a Canon 1000D through a Celestron C8.

ISSrework_castr_zps9c8bfc17.gif

There's a bit of a jump in the middle where I had to flip the equatorial mount round.

And it's coming over London again in about 25 minutes, but I fear that it's not dark enough, there's too much cloud, and there's no way I'll get the scope set up in time.  Another pass at 8, but rather lower.

Love it. I dont know why i am so impressed with movies of the ISS. Its only a couple of hundred miles up. It must be down to the fact that it is moving so fast across our FOV and tracking it must be a nightmare. The only movie capture i have of it is with a small 10Mp point and shoot camera (hand held) and it just looks like a white point of light crossing the sky. 

Sorry, the DETAIL in this kind of movie is outstanding. That's what impresses me. Not forgetting the tracking.

Thanks for all the kind comments folks!

Hmmm, magnification doesn't really make much sense, to be honest, when you're taking photos and cropping them.

It was shot through a scope with a 2032mm native focal length onto the fairly small sensor of a consumer DSLR.  The camera was taking one shot every second for the four minutes or so that I tracked the ISS, and then when I went through the 240 or so shots I picked out 108 that had a half-decent version of the ISS on them.  I then cropped them all down to 720x540 pixels and used VirtualDub to convert the sequence of jpgs into a short video.  I then ran that avi video through the oddly named Castrator program which centres the image, at  which stage I was cropping down to a 144 pixel square. So that's a tiny little section of the original 3888x2592 pixels of the camera's sensor.

I suppose if you wanted this sort of view in an eyepiece, you'd be needing a magnification way beyond what most scopes could manage.  Into the thousands, I suspect.

...and here's a pass from 29 June, sadly without the help of Castrator, as I couldn't get it to play nicely, so it's a but jumpy.  If I can get my manual tracking a bit smoother, I really fancy having a go at filming with a 1.2MP webcam (that I don't yet have)

post-8410-0-77923300-1382560391.gif

Archived