Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Broken Cannon 450d

johnb

Hi

So I tripped over the leads in the dark ripped out the lead that plugs into the camera on the right if your looking at it face on, ie the data lead. I have removed a few screws and can see I have broken the socket the lead goes into. Any recommendations on a service that can repair it. Hope it won't be too expensive.

Regards

John B

I have a few odd 450D parts but not a spare working main board I'm afraid.  Shouldn't cost much to repair but is's a surface mount mini-USB socket and the connections are very small and close together.  In fact I was contemplating removing it on the 450D I'm working on as a mono set-point cooled astro camera with built on filter wheel.  But seeing how fiddly the connections were I decided against it.

I've had these main boards in and out of the camers so many times I've lost count.  But then I'm now so used to dismantling various DSLRs and reassembling them that it comes second nature :D

If it's the mini USB socket the same thing happened to mine, new board is available for £130.00, easy enough to fit following Gary Honis video.

Dave

For ~£130 I'd rather buy something like this...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-EOS-450D-D-SLR-camera-body-only-LC-E5E-charger-Strap-LP-E5-battery-/171152612656

That way you have 95% of the spares for your camera in case something else goes wrong...or re-sell it as faulty (broken USB port) and get at least 50% back on it.

Archived