NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

is anyone familiar w/ this ?

this is on e bay and looks like a reasonable package ... but that is from a completely untrained eye.    can someone with some knowledge tell me is this good , bad or indifferent , please ?

ebay item number  200834551568

thanks

iOptron cube mount with what seems to be a 6" reflector.

Would have thought that the reflector was a bit on the large size for the Cube, it looks like the small model and not 100% sure of the handset. The handsets I have seen are more complex, cannot recall the reason for having a concern about this.

The mount is an Alt/Az so OK for planetary but not for DSO's.

The camera shown is a webcam and the output is to a laptop, so they have not tried to imply DSO imaging.

Says brand new, unopened but the seller does not appear to be an astro shop/retailer.

Looking at the detail the scope is not right for imaging, f/9.3 so I presume it is a spherical mirror. Again may do planets OK although probably not sharp enough, and when you think about it there are 3 planets to image, then you basically run out of them.

Focal length may well be achieved by a Bird-Jones design and that is no use for imaging, and little use for visual.

Ultimately my view is: Mount is fair, no more then fair (still unsure of that handset, something says avoid. I was thinking of a Cube but only if it had the full handset), and the scope is junk.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200834551568?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D200834551568%26_rdc%3D1

Is this it?

That is a lot of scope for that price, so there are going to be compromises on mount, mirrors, lenses, cameras...If you look at the spread holding the secondary mirror, it is very thick, that could cause imaging problems.

As for astrophotography an AZ GOTO mount would not allow for the long exposures you need >20 secs for many DSO. It might (just might) be OK for planetary or Lunar.

I did a web search and could not find the manufacturer but search engines in China do have restrictions. But Amazon hvae the EQ version with a bit of a spec.

http://www.amazon.com/Silver-TwinStar-Short-Reflector-Telescope/dp/B001LT2SMC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

From this site I can see it is a Bird Jones design so a bit like a Seben.

http://cs.astronomy.com/asy/equipment/f/9/t/55634.aspx

I would proceed with caution......

I wouldn't buy it for a couple of reasons  first the scope has all the hallmarks of a toyshop scope spherical mirror and bird jones design. I am sure the original bird jones design was very capable but I have only seen it executed on not very good scopes consequently I stay away from them. second the mount has not got a good reputation

http://www.stevenstanek.com/Science/ioptron_review/

iOptron cube mount with what seems to be a 6" reflector.

Would have thought that the reflector was a bit on the large size for the Cube, it looks like the small model and not 100% sure of the handset. The handsets I have seen are more complex, cannot recall the reason for having a concern about this.

The mount is an Alt/Az so OK for planetary but not for DSO's.

The camera shown is a webcam and the output is to a laptop, so they have not tried to imply DSO imaging.

Says brand new, unopened but the seller does not appear to be an astro shop/retailer.

Looking at the detail the scope is not right for imaging, f/9.3 so I presume it is a spherical mirror. Again may do planets OK although probably not sharp enough, and when you think about it there are 3 planets to image, then you basically run out of them.

Focal length may well be achieved by a Bird-Jones design and that is no use for imaging, and little use for visual.

Ultimately my view is: Mount is fair, no more then fair (still unsure of that handset, something says avoid. I was thinking of a Cube but only if it had the full handset), and the scope is junk.

those are VERY good observations ...   and thanks very much.     

The seller is "big'ing it up" too much - to me it smacks of suspicion and doesn't look as well specified as it's being made to sound - I'd say avoid it and go to a reputable astro retailer who will state the benefits and disadvantages of their scopes, give you comparisons between models and makes, and make recommendations based on your aspirations. Hth :)

The seller is "big'ing it up" too much - to me it smacks of suspicion and doesn't look as well specified as it's being made to sound - I'd say avoid it and go to a reputable astro retailer who will state the benefits and disadvantages of their scopes, give you comparisons between models and makes, and make recommendations based on your aspirations. Hth :)

understood and normally if i was back in the states i would do just that but i am on a carribean island where a 7-11 is the equivilent of sears...    so  i have two issues...   i have to buy and ship sight unseen  and i don't know anything about what i'm trying to buy....    what you might describe as  a " worst case" scenario...

having said that , there is a 10" orion skyquest in miami ( which is helpful because thats where my freight forwarder is )   for 480 $    , ebay number  300987232985   and the orion stuff seems to be reasonably well respected  ...   what do you think of this one ?

I'm assuming the OTA in the picture isn't the one they're selling? Just doesn't look right for a 6" 1400mm scope (way too small).

The telescope is a Bird-Jones design. The focal length of the telescope is 1400mm but the built in corector lenses compress the tube length down to something smaller.

Archived