Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Basic set up for AP

I dont want to go to the expence of a Apoch Frack but want to get into AP, I am considering either a Skywatcher 150PDS or 200PDS on a HEQ5pro  Syntrek mount as I already have a Synscan GOTO handset . I appreciate I will need a comma correcter for the newt  but will this set up be sufficient to get me started. I already have a Canon 450DSLR 

I dont want to go to the expence of a Apoch Frack but want to get into AP, I am considering either a Skywatcher 150PDS or 200PDS on a HEQ5pro  Syntrek mount as I already have a Synscan GOTO handset . I appreciate I will need a comma correcter for the newt  but will this set up be sufficient to get me started. I already have a Canon 450DSLR 

Yes, that will be fine, more  with a 150 than with the 200. You'd need a way of guiding if you want to image longer than 30~ 45s.

A.G

Yes. It should be a good set up to get you started, and with a guider even long term. The 150P will be easier to use due to the smaller physical size and shorter focal length. It will give you a wider field of view as well. Since both telescopes are f/5, there will be no difference in image brightness for a given exposure time.

the 150pds is a super scope i took this image with my 150pds and a unmodded 450d. no coma corrector or lightpollution filter either. 120 second subs unguided. 150pds and heq5 is a cracking match not too big and enough photon pulling power to keep you pleased . go for it you wont be disappointed 

post-6284-0-84729400-1381877343_thumb.pn

For AP, it's all in the mount, not the optics or the camera. I know that sounds daft, but you need a stable and vibration free base that is able to accurately track. Have you got a copy of the book 'Making Every Photon Count'? You can get it in the book section of the FLO site and it really is something of an imagers bible.

The HEQ5 is a well considered mount and is generally considered to be the starting point for a quality mount for AP. It is often coupled with a short focal length refractor, such as an ED80. This places minimum strain on the mount, unlike the big reflectors, which can act rather like a sail. Also with their longer focal length, if you are looking at unguided work, you will be getting considerably shorter exposures than with a small refractor. Just a thought really - The refractors are as plug and play as you can get and second hand the decent doublets come up at between £200-£300.

I have seen good results with your choice of gear.

If your set on a newt you must budget collimation tools also as its vital to get it as good as you can.

Next is guiding, this is really needed to get longer exposures, a finder guider should work, all you need is a camera and adapter to go into the 50mm finder scope, you could also use an ST80 as a guidescope piggy backed on the top on the 200. I would recommend some research into this as it can be the make and break of the whole affair. (once guiding is nailed everything becomes so much easier).

But before you do any of this, as Sara says get the book, and have a good read before pulling the trigger on the gear.

Thanks to all for your advice. I already have the book, and have read it a couple of times, I have given the SW ED scopes some thought but still prefer the Newt, Looks like it will be the 150PDS, Now I must start researching some guidance

Graham 

Archived