NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ3-2 and Skywatcher 150p

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That made me laugh indeed :grin:  (thanks for cheering me up) - no, it's not correctable with a file or wet and dry, but I might try to "run it in" like the way we needed to do once with the car engines :rolleyes:

It sounds to me like the wormwheel is a bit eccentric and it's simply manufacturing error.

I wonder what will I find in RA axis... (which feels even worse than DEC).

Well, they don't test anything before sending out.

I guess they don't see anything before sending (I am assuming it was drop shipped directly from the warehouse).

Web shop where I bought it (only on 5th Sept last month) is simply handling sales (like most of them for this type of items).

I guess they don't see anything before sending (I am assuming it was drop shipped directly from the warehouse).

Web shop where I bought it (only on 5th Sept last month) is simply handling sales (like most of them for this type of items).

Well when they have built them you would think they could give them a quick turn and check stop things like this send photos to skywatcher itself and see what they say they may say they will replace it.

Talk to your supplier. If it is manufacturing fault it ought to be put right.

Looking at the state of it after only a month or so of wear I would suggest you approach the supplier and tell them it gradually got tighter and tighter till it started jumping about before finally seizing up. After all - that's what seems to have happened here - to the extent it's wearing the gears down excessively.

I think you'll find you're within your rights under the distant selling laws to claim a replacement or a refund as it's clearly a manufacturing fault (maybe misaligned gears and worm drive or put together too tightly). The axes should be totally free when the clutches are unlocked - and move very smoothly using the slo mo controls when they're done up. Hth :)

Well... with the weather, like it was last month, it was more like three nights of wear not the month of wear :grin:

Yes, the axles are free when the clutches are unlocked, it's only when I am trying to use wormwheels to drive DEC and RA that it feels cheap, nasty and rough.

Good job.  I came to this late but recall my EQ3-2 handled this scope well enough for visual. Clearly undermounted for AP but perfectly acceptable for visual up to around 200x where stiction in the gearing and general wobble of the mounting caused some vibratiojn.  Still, nothing too excessive.   I upgraded to an AZ4 as I find it much easier to use in practice.   I am considering getting a GOTO mount for it as well for nights when I want extended high magnification viewing without having to nudge... when I get to that point I'll get a HEQ5 with Synscan so I am partially futureproofed should I want to move up to a 200p for my G&G

At least (if nothing else) it will give me a chance to compare two different examples.

Having examined it inside I don't expect miracles - 32mm dia aluminium wormwheel, manufactured for cheapness rather than quality... expected to hold firm a 700mm long OTA :rolleyes:

It's a wonder that it works at all :grin:

I think that the reason they get away with is that majority end up gathering dust having been used once or twice and more serious users eventually give up and move up.

I don't hold my breath simply because it's a pot luck - another example might be better or might be just the same.

It will come directly from the warehouse and they are not in the business of unpacking goods and checking them for quality, although in model engineering trade this is exactly what happens - you can buy a PRC made machine as is, or for a premium have it stripped down, cleaned, adjusted etc before delivery to you.

I have to say that this is first actual 'lemon' EQ3-2, I have heard of.

I have owned or used quite a bit of SkyWatcher kit and I have to say that I find it remarkably consistent. You hear assumptions of non-existent quality control, but that has not been my experience at all. I tend to put the differing feedback down to different expectations and opinions of the users rather than actual differences in the equipment.

Ask most people the defining features of a Dobsonian and they say ease of use and stability. I had a chap at a public observing event complain loudly that the view through my Dob was 'awful, it's all blurry and keeps jumping about, why won't it keep steady? How are you supposed to use something so difficult' as he grabbed eyepiece in his fist and tried to look through it, around clenched fingers. (the pub version of this story has him swinging off the focuser like a chimp!) 

There is always first time...

To suggest that my feedback is down to my expectations and opinion rather than actual difference in the equipment is possibly not fair, but hey it's interweb and everybody is entitled to their opinion :grin: and free to express it.

I will try not to swing like a chimp from the focuser :evil: (apparently I look more like honey monster than chimp :p )

Glad you have a resolution - my suspicion is that you were the unlucky one who got an odd duff instrument. I had my EQ3-2 for 18mths before I got the urge to upgrade to a bigger aperture, and it was absolutely fine in use. Let's hope they replace it with a good proper working one for you. :)

There is always first time...

To suggest that my feedback is down to my expectations and opinion rather than actual difference in the equipment is possibly not fair, but hey it's interweb and everybody is entitled to their opinion :grin: and free to express it.

I will try not to swing like a chimp from the focuser :evil: (apparently I look more like honey monster than chimp :p )

Sorry, perhaps my post wasn't sufficiently clear, it wasn't a dig, I was applauding your handling of the situation when others I have encountered didn't do so well :icon_salut:

You had a certain expectation of performance that the mount you received did not meet, and your opening post was along the lines of 'why do they sell these mounts with this OTA, it clearly is not up to it'. That is quite different to the current status of the thread, which I would sum up as 'this mount is defective, the supplier is going to replace it'. Hopefully your new mount will work properly and you will be able post a big smiley 'that's what I expected when I ordered it' :D

I admire that you kept an open mind and revised your position from 'these mounts are rubbish', to 'my one is broken', when (as far as possible in the virtual word of t'internet) compared to other people's examples of the same mount. Lesser individuals would stick doggedly to their own (possibly incorrect) ideas rather than adapt to new information. ('This scope wobbles a lot!' - "Yes Sir, it will if you hold onto the eyepiece and swing it about like that" - 'But it's all wobbly!' - " :BangHead: ")

Of course the EQ3-2 is a still a small mount and the 150P a mid-sized OTA; I certainly wouldn't put anything larger on this mount and these days it only gets used with just a DSLR or an ST80+webcam for white-light solar imaging. It won't be rock solid, but it should be functional / usable. You may still feel that the scope is undermounted and that's fine too. As you say, everyone is entitled to their opinion :)

By the time I put my new finderscope and my new 2" eyepiece and the Telrad (when it is eventually available and in stock again) on my 150p, it will most likely be too much for the poor little EQ3 :grin:, but I will not know until I try it.

I look forward to reporting on my replacement mount when it arrives and I hope I will be pleasantly surprised.

I doubt those accessories will affect performance of the gears or worms. It's tough enough to take all three of them (though you may find you don't need both Telrad and finder - one or other should do). I had a raci and some pretty big eyepieces on mine and all was fine. :)

I had my Telrad my finder and BST Starguiders in and could use the slow motion controls to  keep what i was looking at in the eyepiece no problem, no jerking no quivering of the image here`s a picture of mine before i got my new tripod legs i carry this out each time i use it.

post-20428-0-56765600-1381963108_thumb.j

Had the same set up for 20 months.

Mount movement was very stiff when I received it. To get any reduction fiction I had to slacken off so much it caused too much slop. Took assembly apart decrease and used lithium grease, then reassembled. Movement was free'er, but still very slack. Too much wobble when observing, so I bought an EQ5 instead, had no problems till I tripped over dog and crushed the mount.

Now have a 250px Flextube, and a very happy chappy I am.

Sent from my Radar C110e using Tapatalk

Archived