Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First new EP

after asking for advice regarding additional EPs for my 8" dob and reading loads of comments i have decided to take the plunge! I have decided to go for the BST star guider ,if I buy the 18mm will this negate the need to replace the 25mm that came with the scope and ,budget allowing,should I purchase another EP too or maybe buy a Telrad instead?

Always difficult to decide what's best for someone else.  For me, I wouldn't be without a low power wide field eyepiece, for finding objects, and viewing larger ones.  If your 8" Dob is the standard 1200mm focal length, the 18mm will give 67x, nice to have as a low to mid power.

I think it's best to have a plan as to what EPs you want to end up with.   Different people will have various ideas, I'd need a low power wide field 40 -50x, a mid power around 90-100x, and a high power 150 - 180x.    

A set like that could be all you need, others will have other options, so please see what they say, not just me.

You can't go wrong with a Telrad, but if it's a choice between the two (eyepieces or Telrad) tough call, depends how well you get on with your present finder and eyepieces.............

Hope you come to a good decision, Ed.

Hi

It may well be a good idea to use your new 18mm alongside your existing 25mm for the time being, so certainly invest in a telrad to.

As you grow more familiar with your scope, you may want to determine purchasing additional eyepieces, such as at high power, when you have new funds to do so. Apply a mind set in which you can gradually evolve your kit, by taking a medium / long term approach, which may also be easier finacially.

Yes it's the 200p,just ordered BST,the long term plan is to get something around the 10mm,then if I can in the future spend a little bit more on a good high power and low power,thanks for the advice,it is,as always,most helpful

Archived