Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

thinking of upgrading to a 12inch dob

hi guys/girls

thinking up upgrading some time in the future from my 8in skywatch dob to a 12in dob

found 2 im interested in so any advice or input would be helpful. have read reviews just need some 

help from you re your own experinces with 12in dobs

will be going to telescope house in lingfield to view both as well

firstly revelation 12in f/5 bk7 1/12th wave dob

or

skyliner 12in dob

many thanks

steve

Going and viewing is certainly a good idea as it will be a fair step-up in size from your 8" ;).

Personally I don't know much about either, but I'd go with the Skyliner. I've heard mixed reviews on GSO / Revelation mirrors.

I went from the 8" Skyliner to the 12" and can vouch that its a well worth upgrade!

Cant offer any advice on choosing between the two because I've never seen the Revelation but if you are actually seeing them both side by side then I'd go with your gut instinct, chances are that you will make modifications to improve either scope anyway.

:)

From Croydon I would wanna make sure my scope is portable if deep sky observing is what you wanna do. If planets are your chief interest I'd stay with the 8". Seeing is never good enough in this country to get the benefits of a 12". You'd just be heaving a 12" scope around for the sheer fun of it.

For deep sky observing you really need to get out of Croydon to reap the benefits of a big scope. Once objects are lost in the sky glow of LP no amount of aperture will make them visible.

Even giant aperture cannot reverse the effects of LP.

From Croydon I would wanna make sure my scope is portable if deep sky observing is what you wanna do. If planets are your chief interest I'd stay with the 8". Seeing is never good enough in this country to get the benefits of a 12". You'd just be heaving a 12" scope around for the sheer fun of it.

For deep sky observing you really need to get out of Croydon to reap the benefits of a big scope. Once objects are lost in the sky glow of LP no amount of aperture will make them visible.

hi steve

point taken i was not too sure if upgrading would help but as you pointed out lp in croydon is terrible

but i still might upgrade in the future but will look at it from a portability point .

there is nothing wrong with my 8in dob i get fantastic views to be honest and so easy to move and store so i think

your correct in saying if lp is a problem a 12in wont help plus the weight and going to dark sites  going to take time.

and my back garden is  dark  but looking east there is a lovley orange glow from central croydon

thank you all for your input and you steve.

steve

Makes sense. I suppose a larger aperture will collect more light overall, be it from the target or just ambient LP.

Archived