NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lithium Grease

long_arms

Hello :smiley: , 

If everything goes to plan I will be receiving a synscan upgrade kit for my standard heq5 in the coming couple of weeks. 

This obviously involves changing the motors and gears etc. 

I've read/noticed people talking about using lithium grease on the gears and whatnot in their mounts? I'm assuming this doesn't come with the upgrade kit. 

Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a lithium grease suitable (with links if possible) and a brief outline of how to do it? 

I know absolutely nothing mechanically, the inside of my mount is a mystery to me so layman's terms please haha. 

Many thanks, 

Dan  :rolleyes: 

I used the Weldtite TF2 Red Lithium Grease for mine - price seems to vary quite a lot, but can be had on ebay quite cheaply http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WELDTITE-TF2-CYCLE-BIKE-GREASE-TEFLON-150G-HEADSET-CRANKS-BOTTOM-BRACKETS-/261289506315?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Cycling_BikeLocks_SR&hash=item3cd611760b or via a bike shop.   It's a lithium/teflon mix, but was recommended by Astrobaby herself.

The motor gears came ready greased when I did mine (which was some years ago now). The issue folks usually talk about is the black stuff Synta put on the worm. This can be replaced, but you don't access this as part of the synscan upgrade. It is a separate job which involves completely dismantling the mount.

NigelM

• 1 month later...

I just stripped and rebuilt my Vixen GP mount using http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&productId=213859&catalogId=10151#tab1 from Halfords and it seems to work a treat... says it's good for -20 degrees. dunno if the mount tracks better but it's definitely quieter  :grin: Best thing about it is that it's a spray with a little straw to precisely put the grease where you want it.

Archived