NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

It's been a beautiful sunny morning, so I've been capitalising on the sun being out and done a bit of solar viewing/imaging with the 80mm frac and DSLR.

Loads of sun-spots today and it's worth a view if you have your solar filters.

If anyone has a bit of n3.8 solar film I could have it would be great, as I am imaging through the visual quality 5.0, however it still captures the sun-spots a treat :)

post-39306-0-25007000-1431691941_thumb.j

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vicky regarding eyepieces and dslr cameras my 32mm eyepeiece is threaded for that  I have never managed to make it work, you are welcome to borrow it next time we are out before you buy any6thing if you wish

Vicky regarding eyepieces and dslr cameras my 32mm eyepeiece is threaded for that I have never managed to make it work, you are welcome to borrow it next time we are out before you buy any6thing if you wish

Thanks Leigh, that would be great. Next time we are out I'll make sure I bring my DSLR and adapters and I'll give it a go.

The clouds look like they are clearing so there may still be a chance to have a quick sneak outside tonight :)

have a look at the 32mm from your kit I think its the same set as I have,  the top element (which has no glass in it unscrews, and that thread fits the adapter

I've had a look at mine, and there is a bit that unscrews, but it is the bottom silver bit that goes into the eyepiece, and that then leaves the rest of the EP with the lens in it. I can't see how that would work. Looking on-line, there is a 32mm Plossl that has a thread under the eyecup bit, but this is not one of those. Is your 32mm Plossl the one with the thread at the top end? I have attached a photo

http://www.scopesnskies.com/magnify/1172.1.html

I don't think we have the right EP to be honest, but thank you :)

Ok, I am giving you permission to shout at me if I'm being stupid, but getting my lens kit out to look at that 32mm lens has made me have a look at my other lenses. Question (apologies if it a silly question) - I have just discovered that the lens part of my 2 x Barlow unscrews and then re screws into the bottom of my other lenses. Does it still work when used like this, as I have only ever used it as a complete unit and dropped my other lenses into it? Also, it screws into the bottom of my T-adaptor for the DSLR. Will it work as used in that way too? Sorry if this is obvious, but I was wondering why it comes with the other part of you can use it without. Plus, using it straight into the other lenses and the T-adaptor keeps the FL shorter, which is better, and the increased FL from the Barlow has caused problems before. Can anyone clarify this?

yeah the one you linked is similar to mine, the bottom bit you loosen the screw to give some leeway to get focus,  the bit with the eye cup also unscrews and that leaves a thread,  is yours not the same? I always thought the  celestron and revelation kits contained the same lenses

yeah the one you linked is similar to mine, the bottom bit you loosen the screw to give some leeway to get focus,  the bit with the eye cup also unscrews and that leaves a thread,  is yours not the same? I always thought the  celestron and revelation kits contained the same lenses

No, yours is the right one if it is like the picture. Mine hasn't got the bit that unscrews under the eyecup. I wonder if it because mine is an older kit, as it is the kit I had given from the guy I bought my scope from and it is probably a couple of years old. Anyway, if I can have a try with it next time we manage a viewing session I would appreciate it. Thank you :)

yes if you screw the bottom lens element from the barlow into the nose piece for the dslr it helps you get focus,  that's the only way I can get focus on my astromaster  with the dslr, even then focuser has to be all the way in, not tried it on the 150 pds yet yet

Cool, I'll have to try it next time, although I have really only done the moon and a couple of solar images with the DSLR on the 80mm refractor. I did try Venus the other evening, and managed a very tiny image, but I really had to zoom in and crop. I've not had any problems focusing with the DSLR on the 80mm frac, but I do use it straight into the back without the star diagonal to keep the FL down as much as possible. I'll give it a go next time to see if it makes any difference. I've been having a look at all the coloured filters whilst I've had all the kit out, and I've never really had chance to use them before. Itching to give them a go next time we get a clear evening too! :)

I have a friend who lives on the isle of lewis, pro photographer who does great aurora and widefield work, so kind of had any idea of asking her is she fancied hosting a star party for us,  then I looked at a map, its a 1000 mile round trip from Leeds,  doh

Hi Guys    Vicky, you might want to take a look at this on youtube,  

It tells you how barlow lenses can be screwed on in place of the filter for a slightly less magnification and how they can be used with a T adapter to attach a dslr camera.

Archived