Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What a difference 6 months makes?

lensman57

Hi,

I took this simple capture of the M42 a couple of nights ago  and posted it in the with imaging section. I then remembered that this was actually my 2nd attempt at this glorious nebula as first attemp was posted  on the 31st March 2013, not long after I took this hobby up. Let us hope that the clear nights continue. I attach both for your perusal.

Regards,

A.G

post-28808-0-81539200-1381143306_thumb.j

post-28808-0-92428000-1381143489_thumb.p

What a difference indeed. Would be nice to know what you did differently as that would be really beneficial for us beginners. 

Thank you all very much, to be honest I am a loss to explain how and with what but all I can say with certainty is that I have not stopped  willing to learn. I know that in particular with AP,  the right equipment plays an important part but then there is processing, planning and so on and at the end of it all we are still a slave to mother nature. At the moment I am using an Ascension 80 mm Apo triplet, with an Atik 428 ex osc and couple of other  brands of ED scopes, all about F6 native, but as for processing I have now concentrated on StarTools and PS.

Regards,

A.G

Wow, what an improvement. I bet you were pretty chuffed with the first attempt at the time though! The learning curve is pretty stellar, but how satisfying to haul yourself up it. The net makes research and learning so much quicker and this forum is an incredible source of information and inspiration. I discovered 'Annie's Astro Videos' yesterday evening: http://www.eprisephoto.com/videos - look forward to trying some of the photoshop methods.

Now, I just need time and clear skies....

Of course you've made huge improvements there but there's also a drift in style away from the more natural look towards the intensive wavelets approach. (Well, I'm guessing. Does Startools have a wavelets or HDR wavelets tool?) I tend to prefer the natural look but that's entirely a personal thing.

Did you use HDR wavelets to control the Trapezium or Layer Masking of different exposures in Photoshop?

Olly

I agree with Olly, its a fabulous improvement, but it does look a bit hard on HDR. I remember when i processed my first M42 and playing with HDR on it and felt it became too unnatural. It almost becomes a water colour or digital painting. Each to their own on how they process their images and maybe you had a reason as to why you went down that route. It would be great to see a version without the HDR though! :)

Of course you've made huge improvements there but there's also a drift in style away from the more natural look towards the intensive wavelets approach. (Well, I'm guessing. Does Startools have a wavelets or HDR wavelets tool?) I tend to prefer the natural look but that's entirely a personal thing.

Did you use HDR wavelets to control the Trapezium or Layer Masking of different exposures in Photoshop?

Olly

Hi Olly,

You are correct, I combined short and medium exposure to be able to push the HDR, a little too heavy I am afraid. But atleast I know where I went too far. I also need to tweak the noise reduction a touch. I rather have a little bit of texture than a super smooth background. Many thanks for your advice yet again. I owe a lot to people like yourself with the guidance that you all have provided. All the main processing were done in StarTools.

Reagrds,

A.G

Archived