Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sky-Watcher Skymax-127 SynScan AZ GOTO

Hi guys,

I just got a Sky-Watcher Skymax-127 SynScan AZ GOTO (gift) and though I have always been gazing the night sky, this is the very first time owning a telescope.

I hope some are familiar with this scope and I truly need your helpz :)

I have followed the setting up okay and noted the importance of a balanced/levelled mount, accurate coordinates, time, etc., however it seems I still am missing something. I am using 8 AA Duracel batteries for my power supply. I kind of pointed the scope at a familiar object using just the handheld arrow keys, and used the "Identify" function, however the scope either name a different star or do not find any object to identify at all.

I am using my Starwalk Ipad app to guide me through the skies and even then without the telescope, I find the app really helpful. However when choosing stars to align during set up, I find it really challenging. Do I really have to align the scope first before I can use the "Guided Tour" function?

If you could give me insights about alignment, I would truly appreciate it guys. Also, is it possible that my power source could be the reason why the scope points at different erratic directions?

Do you know of any video tutorials I can view about a step by step guide?

I am very grateful for your ideas and help.

~aDa

I would say change your power source.

I have the Celestron version of your scope and had first light with it last night. I managed to align the go-to system first time but that was with a little guidance from someone that had done it a number of times.

Your coodinates also have to be pretty spot on too.

I would say change your power source.

I have the Celestron version of your scope and had first light with it last night. I managed to align the go-to system first time but that was with a little guidance from someone that had done it a number of times.

Your coodinates also have to be pretty spot on too.

Hi thank you for your reply :) I found this http://www.opticstar.com/Run/Astronomy/Astro-Accessories-Mounts-Skywatcher.asp?p=0_10_5_2_0_22 and I think I will get this asap.

Do you know of any application, gadget or site that could help me with accurate coordinates? :)

Hi there.

Goto mounts are quite dumb need to be star aligned before they can be used properly. After you has entered your location, date and time in the correct format and order the mount then needs to be calibrated so that it knows where it is pointing. The AZ mount has a simple "brightest star" alignment based on area of sky that can be easiest seen from your location. Lets assume that the best views are to the SW, select this from the options and the handset will select the brightest star in that part of the sky. The handset will then prompt you to slew the mount to the star. Once you have centred the star in the eyepiece press enter and the handset will select the next alignment star.and the handset will prompt you to slew the mount in the direction of the new alignment star. Centre the star in the eyepiece and press enter, the mount should now be star aligned.

Hi thank you for your reply :) I found this http://www.opticstar.com/Run/Astronomy/Astro-Accessories-Mounts-Skywatcher.asp?p=0_10_5_2_0_22 and I think I will get this asap.

Do you know of any application, gadget or site that could help me with accurate coordinates? :)

Try this one http://www.satsig.net/maps/lat-long-finder.htm

The centre of Dublin is 006 15 W, 53 21 N. Yours will be similar.

Hi there.

Goto mounts are quite dumb need to be star aligned before they can be used properly. After you has entered your location, date and time in the correct format and order the mount then needs to be calibrated so that it knows where it is pointing. The AZ mount has a simple "brightest star" alignment based on area of sky that can be easiest seen from your location. Lets assume that the best views are to the SW, select this from the options and the handset will select the brightest star in that part of the sky. The handset will then prompt you to slew the mount to the star. Once you have centred the star in the eyepiece press enter and the handset will select the next alignment star.and the handset will prompt you to slew the mount in the direction of the new alignment star. Centre the star in the eyepiece and press enter, the mount should now be star aligned.

Hi Peter,  And I reckon you should really know that star's name and position to choose it because then the mount would ask you to center it with the arrow keys right?  And I thought at the beginning was since it's automated, I shouldn't have to do anything and just keep pressing enter haha.  Sorry, I must sound totally dumb but thanks so much I think I know what to do now.  Have you ever used Star Walk app? This is what I use to familiarize the sky.  I'm wondering if anybody is using it too :)

You may also want to look into portable power packs for when you want to take your scope elsewhere.

oh yeah, I was looking at that too..  :)  Apparently, there are forums here that talk exactly just that :D  brilliant!     Thanks hobsey  ;)

Try this one http://www.satsig.net/maps/lat-long-finder.htm

The centre of Dublin is 006 15 W, 53 21 N. Yours will be similar.

Thanks so much Peter.  I was using an app with my android and it says 006 14 W, that came with a lot of number after 14 :D  I guess that too could have created a discrepancy with the accuracy :) 

Archived