Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Open Club  ·  33 members

West Midlands

Hello from Tamworth(SGL Newb) - What's happening where soon?

Pliadian

Hi Fellow Astronomers,

I am in Tamworth and have loved Astronomy for nearly 30 years.

I decided to treat myself after a decent refractor and then a 4.5" reflector and went to the top of my dream list.

I bought a Meade LX200 12" EMC last week with two Meade S4000 9.7mm & 26mmSP eyepieces.

Used once and saw M13 using the 26mm super plossl.

I took a sharp intake of breath and froze.. Transfixed at the depth, colour & sharpness WoW. I knew this scope was good but wow.!

So now it is time for the months looking out of galactic plane and time for some great deep sky observation.

However, I am still collating data for the PERFECT eyepiece for Jupiter which will be high and bright for months.

So far, I am sold on the Pentax XW 5mm Ortho. I want the best one for Jupiter & Saturn later on.

Any advice welcome as all so far have said try before you buy..

Therefore, local meetings or eyepiece borrowing, I am here for anything happening.

Nice to join & meet you all at last.

Fingers crossed for a clear Sunday night! (Will be 2nd use after purchase).

Scott.

Hi Ya Scott, Welcome to the SGL, really nice scope mate well done.  Jupiter is going to be nice and high this apparition - so make the most of it, you've also got Mars to look forward to in the coming months - Mars is a little tricky the first time around, rather small and very bright, as will Jupiter be in that 12" monster!!!.  The 5mm may be pushing it a little until the planets are as high in the sky, try and observe them when they reach their highest point due South, then your looking through the least amount of atmosphere - I find an ep around 12 - 13mm works better for me - this gives a  relatively bright image and you keep as much of the contrast as your going to depending on the "seeing" for any particular night.

The scope working at F10 is going to be forgiving on eyepieces - you could get away with the slightly cheaper ep's and still retain good images (I use the Hyperions, really nice with good eye relief), when your working at say F4, F5 and F6 is when the cheaper ep's fall away and soften towards the edges of the field.

Also, it may be worth you investing in a Variable polarising filter to attach under the ep - you can alter the amount of light passing through, as said, Jupiter is going to be bright in your scope, using the filter you can vary the amount of light, darkening the image, for me, helps a great deal.

Scott, your gonna have a lot of fun with that scope, I don't own any of the Pentax's but the reviews are very good, perhaps a Pentax owner will put his two penneth in, I'm the otherside of the Midlands to you, not to worry, your going to get local contacts by you I'm sure, once again Welcome to the SGL and regards    Paul. 

Thanks Paul, exactly what I needed to hear.

I thought I may be pushing with an XW5mm. But my next choice is a Nagler 1 7mm. The supposed feel of spacewalk and a better APOV may be best?

Yes I bought an SCT, so it isn't the best for planets. Mars can wait for opposition, Jupiter is a favorite.

The main reason for the scope is I have never seen Nebula's, Custer & Galaxies with my own eye.

My very first use was on M13, my profile pic. Wow, I am in love with deep space, but feel I am cheating on Jupiter - haha.

Sound advice, Cheers Paul.

Yeah Scott your welcome mate, the stuff at the bottom is called your signature - its to be found in your profile, if you click on your username at teh top, you get a drop down menu and just click on your profile,  just type anything in and it shows up every post you make - the Nagler's are I think the Ultimate ep, a lot of Astronomers on here have them and I think the old addage comes to mind - "you only get what you pay for", but beware, they're massive, not sure if you have any dew control for your scope yet - might be worth investing in some sort of dew heater cause your 12" is going to attract some serious moisture on the front corrector plate - might be worth you having a look for some control, I think your purchase has just come at the right time of year, the nights are getting darker, the winter is coming and you have 2 nice planets here now and 2 only round the corner,

if you set up now you've got Neptune and Uranus now but make sure you have a clear - ish horizon to the SE and to the South only they're not too high up, with your scope you'll easily resolve the colour and planetary discs - you've got the Veil, Cocoon and crescent nebulae overhead, M31 and the satellite galaxies, M15, M2 - not to mention M57 - the ring and M27 the dumbell, oh, and don't forget M76 the little dumbell and a f bright planetary nebula the blinking planetary  - there's a few to get you started Scott and I hope with your new scope comes the clearest of skies mate.  Paul.

EDIt - Sorry Scott you click on your profile from your username, then edit profile and add your Signature from there.

Yeah Scott your welcome mate, the stuff at the bottom is called your signature - its to be found in your profile, if you click on your username at teh top, you get a drop down menu and just click on your profile,  just type anything in and it shows up every post you make - the Nagler's are I think the Ultimate ep, a lot of Astronomers on here have them and I think the old addage comes to mind - "you only get what you pay for", but beware, they're massive, not sure if you have any dew control for your scope yet - might be worth investing in some sort of dew heater cause your 12" is going to attract some serious moisture on the front corrector plate - might be worth you having a look for some control, I think your purchase has just come at the right time of year, the nights are getting darker, the winter is coming and you have 2 nice planets here now and 2 only round the corner,

if you set up now you've got Neptune and Uranus now but make sure you have a clear - ish horizon to the SE and to the South only they're not too high up, with your scope you'll easily resolve the colour and planetary discs - you've got the Veil, Cocoon and crescent nebulae overhead, M31 and the satellite galaxies, M15, M2 - not to mention M57 - the ring and M27 the dumbell, oh, and don't forget M76 the little dumbell and a f bright planetary nebula the blinking planetary  - there's a few to get you started Scott and I hope with your new scope comes the clearest of skies mate.  Paul.

EDIt - Sorry Scott you click on your profile from your username, then edit profile and add your Signature from there.

Thats a great M Menu I can munch through at the weekend, skies permitting, Thanks. I think what Al Nagler said is the rule - 'Mag as much as you can without fizziness. That is the best planet limit.' All the best.

Archived