Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Where to put a second pier

Gina

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The feet are 450mm from the centre line and the pillar is 810mm from base to top of adapter.  With the casters on level ground the top is at 880mm above ground.  It's heavy and very sturdy.  Not weighted it yet - it's too heavy for the kitchen scales - have to look out my 25Kg spring balance :D  It's certainly much heavier and more rigid than a tripod - that's for sure. :)  Looking good :)

That looks very nice. You might have to use some metal straps that go through the holes in the legs and screw it to the concrete pad. Would need a couple in specific locations to keep any freezing in the ground from pushing on the pier itself and moving it.

Or you could do something similar to how the top of your pier currently is. With out the stack of washers that :grin:. But you could put a female end socket, that fits the leveling screws on the feet, into the cement. This would allow you to screw the feet in and then if you have to adjust it later you canjust dig up around the feet. Hopefully the pad wont settle that much or crack so much that just adjusting the mount wont fix the problem but it would be there just in case. Plus help hold the whole thing steady as well. Would take some might fine aligning when puting them in place....or you could just drill it out once the pad is dry and glue in place.

Thank you :)  I was thinking of fixing it by the feet - they're 15mm diameter BTW.  Have to say I'm impressed - it's stronger, heavier and stiffer than I expected :)  Should be good :)

Please could you explain how the mount attaches to the top of this :) I have never seen a pic or explanation of how it connects to the main centre bolt .

Here is a series of photos showing how the NEQ6 mount goes onto the pillar.  The pier adapter is attached to the tube with three Allen screws.  Once these are removed (using the Allen key supplied) the adapter lifts off revealing a large knob on the centre bolt and a thrust ball bearing.  This was a surprise - a very welcome one too :)  It means that the knob can be tightened up to hold the mount firmly while still allowing azimuth PA adjustment with the adjustment bolts.  This is a good alternative to an "owl hole" to get at the knob :)

The adapter is attached to the mount base with the centre bolt and tightened with the knob.  The AZ adjustmant bolts may need slackening off to allow the AZ post to go in between the ends.  The mount with adapter can be placed on the pillar tube, turned until the threaded holes in the adapter are aligned with the holes in the tube and then the three screws replaced and tightened up.  And that's it :)  "Jobs a good un" as they say :)

post-13131-0-21931700-1384514835_thumb.j

post-13131-0-21877700-1384514839_thumb.j

post-13131-0-78906400-1384514849_thumb.j

post-13131-0-88056900-1384514853_thumb.j

post-13131-0-70161400-1384514859_thumb.j

post-13131-0-58790500-1384514869_thumb.j

post-13131-0-69265900-1384514864_thumb.j

Have to say, the more I do with this pliiar mount, the more impressed I am - the ball bearing thrust race was a real surprise :)  I'm thinking now that it's well worth the (seemingly high) price :)

Thank you for taking some of your time to take those pics this is the best bit about this forum and the people on here the willingness to help others and share there experience,anyway my autofocuser hitecastro controller and dew bands have just arrived from FLO I'm now off to play with these :) :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for taking some of your time to take those pics this is the best bit about this forum and the people on here the willingness to help others and share there experience,anyway my autofocuser hitecastro controller and dew bands have just arrived from FLO I'm now off to play with these :) :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You're welcome - I like doing it :)  Hopefully it will be helpful to several other members.  Yes, this is a great place for exchange of ideas :)

I've been looking at plastic sheds and boxes as a weatherproof housing for my imaging rig when not in use.  Thing is, I want to be able to view all round (though the north is limited by the house)  so whatever sort of box I use, it needs to either drop below the mount or lift off.  An upturned dustbin or water butt could serve as a lift off cover but I'm not too keen on this idea as I could catch it on the gear as I take it off or put it on.

Another thought is to have hinged roof and sides but this is starting to get tedious to open and close.  Then there's the problem of getting it proof against the horizontal rain we get here at times.

Wearing my Heath-Robinson hat, a third option might be to have a box with hinged lid that seals when closed and can move up and down the pillar.  ie. when closed the box is up with the bottom up against a collar on the pillar and the lid locked shut.  In the open position, the lid would be open and hinged back and the box lowered to the ground, leaving the mount with imaging rig completely clear.  This plastic box with hinged lid might do the trick (I would need to check that the mount and imaging rig will fit in it).  A hole to clear the pillar could be cut in the bottom.  Hair brained idea or stroke of genius? :D

It's alright - I'm quite happy for anyone to say it's a daft idea :)  I guess it would be a bit complicated :D

Maybe some form of hinged box attached to a shelf.  The hinges would prevent catching the equipment when opening and closing with the mount parked in a suitable position.  One problem is finding a plastic box that can handle the UV - most storage boxes seem to disintegrate in sunlight.  I have things stored in plastic boxes in the sun lounge and they've completely fallen to bits.  Some fell apart when I tried to move them :(  So if I buy an off-the-shelf item it has to be for garden use which limits choice.

Of course I could make something up but the joy of a ready made plastic box is that it's inherently weatherproof and saves time and effort.

I've been wondering about a small roll-off obsy.

My initial thoughts were along the lines of one of those large wheelie bins, with one end hinged and a slot cut in the bottom so the pillar would slot into it.  That would probably be a complicated way to make something, but that is the general idea I have been considering.

Thank you :)  Yes, I've see/read that :)

I've been wondering about a small roll-off obsy.

My initial thoughts were along the lines of one of those large wheelie bins, with one end hinged and a slot cut in the bottom so the pillar would slot into it.  That would probably be a complicated way to make something, but that is the general idea I have been considering.

Yes, I've thought of that too - it's certainly one option, but I think it might be over-kill for what I want.  I shall only be using a pair (possibly three) of DSLR cameras with lenses or at most a small scope, on the mount.

I've brought the pillar mount into the sun lounge and put the NEQ6 on it ready to take some measurements once I've put my widefield rig on the NEQ6.  I expect to be making a DIY cover but once I get the overall size I'll see.

Certainly is.

With the total absence of instructions in the box, I would have had no idea that this was how it worked.

Are you intending to put all this useful info in a 'customer review' on the FLO site?

That's an idea - I could do :)

This is the sort of thing I have in mind for protecting my 2nd pier amd mount from the wearther.  It'll be green though not this colour - SketchUp doesn't have green coloured wood or shiplap.  I haven't worked out the sizes or shape yet either - could be long and narrow - need to work out how the mount will fit inside etc.  May decide to keep imaging rig on mount - not sure yet - may be better to just take it off and take it indoors.

post-13131-0-71612400-1385302228_thumb.p

post-13131-0-71719300-1385302238_thumb.p

Not having the rig left on the mount will turn out to be a pain, its got to be like going back to having no Obby, and that's something i wouldn't do now.....

You're probably right :)  Might as well make the box big enough to take a widefield imaging rig :D

Amended design.  I've taken some measurements and the size of the removeable/hinged part wants to be about 800mm long by 400mm wide by 450mm deep.  The fixed bottom part can be quite shallow with enough space to take a netbook and the power supplies for mount and cameras etc.  The whole assembly on legs of 75mm x 47mm timber sunk into the ground.  The box bottom will need a hole cut to miss the pillar mount and notches cut from the corners to clear the legs. 

Construction could be shiplap for the sides with plywood for the roof covered with rubber roofing offcuts from the main obsy.  T&G offcuts could be used for the floor - or more plywood etc.

post-13131-0-41858300-1385506452_thumb.p

post-13131-0-68437000-1385506460_thumb.p

Archived