Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Where to put a second pier

Gina

Another possible pipe - though maybe a bit small but at lleast it's stainless steel which would last longer in the ground :- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exhaust-Tube-2m-3-76-1mm-T304-Stainless-Steel-Pipe-Exhaust-Repair-Custom-Ramair-/350652150460?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item51a47f32bc  Mind you, galvanised pipe lasts pretty well and I'm sure galvanised pipe would outlast me.  Some old galvanised water pipe to form a tripod would seem a good idea.  In fact, I'm beginning to think a tripod would be easier than a single large pipe.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I've never heard of having the pipe twice as deep into the ground as above.  I think we'd hit bedrock if we tried that here - as it it there's solid hard clay just about a foot down in addition to lumps of flint.  I'm not sure an auger would work here in view of the number of rocks.  We don't generally get a lot of frost here - the climate is quite mild so that isn't a problem.

Thank you for your reply :)

Well to be honest that is the standard for architecture not necessarily for a post supporting a mount. Sorry I'm an architect so my mind jumps straight to that first without thinking sometimes. :grin:

So I'm sure you'll be fine not going that deep. Sorry about that. But I would still go to at least your frost depth.

Another possible pipe - though maybe a bit small but at lleast it's stainless steel which would last longer in the ground :- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exhaust-Tube-2m-3-76-1mm-T304-Stainless-Steel-Pipe-Exhaust-Repair-Custom-Ramair-/350652150460?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item51a47f32bc Mind you, galvanised pipe lasts pretty well and I'm sure galvanised pipe would outlast me. Some old galvanised water pipe to form a tripod would seem a good idea. In fact, I'm beginning to think a tripod would be easier than a single large pipe.

That would probably be the easiest. Or maybe a pier with support legs/feet.

Thank you :)

I've measured up for a tripod and 2m legs will just about do I think.  They will go about a foot into the ground with a ground spacing of a good 3tf/1m with around 120 degrees between legs.  With a single post/pipe straight up into the ground that was excavated for the obsy it would need more than 2m as that would only go about a foot into the ground, whereas tripod legs would be on higher (mainly undisturbed) ground.

I've ordered the three 2m x 33.7mm OD galvanised steel pipes so we'll see how that goes.  I should be able to hammer them into the ground while standing inside the obsy with the roof open.  That'll be easier than scrabbling around in the undergrowth :)  Then I'll have to concoct a tripod top to take the mount.

Nice idea but unfortunately I'm no longer up to doing concrete work - at least I'm not ATM, I might be better by next spring or summer.  Meanwhile, I'm going to try the tripod idea and see how that goes.  There's several other things to do before I'll be able to try the new pier setup for real.  New mount, mono converted and set point cooled DSLR for instance.

I decided to paint the pipes before hammering into the ground so I've just given them a coat of dark green smooth Hammerite.  That's for both extra protection and appearance (to match the obsy).

I think to help the pipes into the ground I shall carve some pointed wooden ends.  I have yet to sort out what happens at the top.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about ready to drive the pipes into the ground.  I was going to carve some pointed wooden ends to make it easier and stop the soil going up the pipe but I don't know if it's worth the effort.

The only reason I see to do that is if you have rocky soil. It will help so you dont get stuck on a rock. Or you could crimp the end to a "point" or flatten the end with a hammer then clip the flattened part to make it a point. That wouldn't be to hard either.

The small pebbles you don't need to worry about. But at my parents house the ground get very rocky after 6"-12" So rocky that there's actually a gravel pit behind our house. If I were to dig there then I would be putting a point on the end at least. If not having to rent a post hold digger. But I have a feeling yours isnt that rocky. So what ever you find easier(wood spike or flatten and cut the end) should help make the pounding a bit easier.

All three pipes are now hammered into the ground :)  I made pointed wooden ends for two of the pipes but nothing in the other.  The ones with wooden points went in easier but the other wasn't much worse.

Now I need to work out how to fit a horizontal peice on the top to attach a mount to :D   Anyone got any ideas?  :D

You could bend pipe that fits into the pipe legs and extends upwards. You could weld it or tap holes and use bolts. Make sure theres enough length going inside (or get bigger pipe and go outside) for enough rigid support. Then you can have a somewhat horizontal starting point.

You could bend pipe that fits into the pipe legs and extends upwards. You could weld it or tap holes and use bolts. Make sure theres enough length going inside (or get bigger pipe and go outside) for enough rigid support. Then you can have a somewhat horizontal starting point.

I have done a bit of electric welding many years ago but wouldn't fancy doing it now.  I think holes and bolts will have to be the solution.  Maybe U shaped brackets onto the edge of a plinth.

Well you could either find a pipe that fits inside or goes over your existing pipe. Would've been the best to bend the existing pipe up but oh well. I would look for a metal sleeve that you can fit the two ends into, similar to what you use to combine two PVC pipes together. I would get the longest one that fits your build. The longer it is it will provide the best stiffness. Some have pre drilled holes and some don't. So depending on what your store has you might have to drill your holes.

The existing pipe is about 1.25" diameter and a wall thickness just under 1/8" - it is very stiff and would have needed a heavy duty pipe bender.

Another idea I've had is like a 3 legged milking stool - a round block of wood with suitable holes bored into it - but the trouble with that is finding out the angle of the holes.

Basically this is like a "normal" tripod but with the legs at funny angles.  I think brackets and bolts with suitable holes drilled in the pipes is going to be the answer.

Another possibility I've just thought of would be to take a wooden block with holes bored in at roughly the right angle.  Fit onto the pipes and hold in place with wooden wedges or G clamps (or maybe a hole drilled through block and each pipe and a screw put in), put some plasticene around the pipes in the bottom of the block to form a seal and then fill up the space between pipe and holes with epoxy resin.  I think that would make a much stiffer top than brackets and bolts.

First thought in my head was just do a giant clump of concrete and smooth off the top. haha. On a serious note I think your idea will work just fine.

Funny you should say that - I was thinking of possibly making up a wooden box around the top of the pipes, sealing the holes for the pipes and filling with concrete :D

I'll see what wood I've got tomorrow.  I know there's all sorts in the shed including logs for the fire :D  I think there's also some part sawn up larger pieces of tree.  Of course the piece of wood doesn't have to be round.

Archived